Saturday, August 9, 2008

Gigantic tattoo reconfirms my fear of pain

I am a wuss.

Those who know me do not doubt the truthfulness of that statement. I don't enjoy pain and I cannot think of any occasion where I would elect to undergo hours of pain. Okay, childbirth may be the one exception... but even then I had happy drugs, two epidurals and plenty of post-birth meds to coast me through the "yowser!" moments of having a baby.

My husband doesn't mind pain... or at least he handles it a heck of a lot better than I do. As a matter of fact, tonight he completed a third session on a full-back tattoo to commemorate his 5-year anniversary of earning a Purple Heart in Iraq. That means he let someone jab needles into his skin for nearly four hours today; and altogether on this tattoo: about 10 hours. OUCH!

Here he is after his first session in April:


And this one was after the second session in late July:


And finally, here is today's work.


It's nice to see the outline of the purple heart finally taking shape, and the shading in the right wing of the eagle is coming along too.

As much as my bank account would like to say it'll only take one more session to complete, I think David's in for at least two. None-the-less, what a cool piece. I'm looking forward to the finished product!

1 comment:

JWilson said...

The purple heart is really pulling it together and once it's done it will be stunning!