Saturday, August 30, 2008

Duncan's Warriors

team t-shirts

A week ago, Noah and I got up early and made our way to Columbus. We were headed for the 2008 Heart Walk, and we were walking in honor of a courageous little boy who passed away nearly a year ago from Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. His name was Duncan Arthur. He left behind a twin brother, Jackson, both who shared their birthdays with Noah.

A little background: I knew Duncan's mom—Tricia Arthur—from my college days. We were in the same sorority, and she was the pledge of a very good friend of mine. I've blogged before on just how much Duncan's passing affected my life and my heart, so I won't repeat myself. But do know that it was absolutely magical to be walking in his memory.

Last Saturday was a beautiful day: the sun was shining, there was a cool breeze and crowds of folks had poured into the city to take step after step to fight heart disease. The team to which I belonged was made up of several ladies from our sorority, and we aptly named ourselves "Ducan's Walking Warriors."

Becky, me, Amber, Emily (& Austin), Sherry, Carli, Helene

Joining us that day were our throngs of children—Hannah, Charlie, Austin, Kaiya, Cassie, Olivia, Gabe, Savannah and Noah. What a bunch we made: strollers and sippy cups flying everywhere!

Because of the high volume of miniature people we had with us, we opted for the 1-mile route, and returned back to the starting line headquarters without suffering too many meltdowns.

While I was not even close as the breadwinner for our group, other folks managed to raise an impressive $2,425 (go Carli!!).

Regardless of my limited purse string, I walked to keep Duncan's memory alive. I wanted to let Tricia know that we haven't forgotten about her little boy, and that we intend to keep honoring him year after year.

Other folks have had great things to say about the day too:
And now, some highlights from the day...



Gabe & Savannah

Cassie & Charlie

Kaiya

Hannah

Helene & Olivia, Em & Austin

Noah meets the Clippers' mascot

Love the stilts! And so does Olivia.

Charlie, Hannah & Noah LOVE the fountain

Noah

Kaiya

1 comment:

The Arthurs said...

Hi friend. Oh, what a wonderful thing to read perspectives of the Heart Walk experience through different folks' eyes. Scott and I clicked to re-read the original entry you wrote when Duncan first left us. We were GUSHING by the end. You have such a touching way with words. Thanks for everything, Tif.