Every day, Noah does something new that makes me laugh. Today he was the garbage man.
My ultra-healthy breakfast came in a cellophane wrapper, and I laid it next to me in the recliner. Noah spied it from across the room. He shuffled over, looked it up and down, then snatched it away from me before I could protest.
Instead of my customary "no touch, please" warning, I chose to see what he would do with the wrapper. I assumed he would begin to rip it into tiny pieces that he would then decide to eat—sending his mommy into a worried tizzy.
But this time he surprised me. He took the wrapper, pulled at it a for a few seconds, then walked over to the trash can under my desk and threw it away. It sounds so silly, but I was speechless! I never taught him to throw things away (and in fact, I'm usually trying to keep him out of the trash can).
Just as I was praising him and clapping loudly (hoping to reaffirm how wonderful it is to throw away garbage), he showed me that he's still Noah. A huge grin spread across his face and he grabbed that wrapper out of the trash and started waving it wildly. As I type this, it's sitting in the middle of the living room... a fitting reminder that even though my little boy is growing up, he's still a little rascal!
Tuesday, August 12, 2008
Garbage Man
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Isn't it amazing the things they pick up just by watching us!
I love that he got it back out to play with. :)
Oh Tif! I love it. How precious when they learn those cute tricks.
Post a Comment