Did you ever just have one of those days? The kind where things don't roll in your direction, and in fact, they roll on out the door and on down the road?
Yep, I had one of those days Wednesday. I didn't have to contend with anything earth-shattering or devastating (thank goodness!), but those 24 hours were real stinkers.
My day began at 12:15 a.m. when the Direct TV installers left my house and reconvened to their truck in our driveway. Uh-huh, 12:15... AM, as in the middle of the night. I know—what the heck?! For the record, they arrived at our house at 4:45 p.m. on Tuesday, worked until 12:15 a.m. Wednesday, and didn't leave our driveway until 1 a.m.
After all that, our satellite stuff still isn't installed properly. Our DVD feature isn't accessible yet, our bedroom TV isn't hooked up, and our (future) basement TV isn't ready either. So they have to come BACK. And so far, I don't know when that's happening.
So after a short 5 hours of sleep on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning, I drug myself out of bed and got ready for an inspiring day at the office. I loaded myself, Noah and all our gear into the car and made a pit stop at the sitter's house before pulling into my office's driveway in Westerville. It took about 15 minutes into a conversation with my colleague to realize that I had forgotten something at home—my laptop...my absolutely-crucial-to-have-at-work laptop if I were to get anything done on the 100-page conference program booklet I knew was due to the printer on Thursday. Damn!
I had no choice but to climb back in the car and drive the 50 minutes home to Mount Vernon. And as I crested the final hill before our house, I nearly ran into a tree branch. A substantial part of one of our trees had fallen into the road from the time I left at 6:55 AM and the time I arrived back at home at 9:55 AM. So what's a gal to do? Well, get out and move the tree, of course! So I did. I Chuck-Norrised that tree right off the road and into our ditch (where, by the way, it has rested comfortably since).
Fast forward a few hours, and I arrive back in the office. I checked my voicemail and heard a stranger's gravelly voice announce to me that the flights for my upcoming vacation to Jamaica have changed. No big deal...until he says that the return flight now involves an overnight stay in Memphis. Oh good grief! I'll have to deal with that later.
I scrambled at work the next 6 or so hours to fit in a regular days's task list, and then jetted to Peace & Praise/choir rehearsal (the praise team I sing with at church). I usually rehearse from 6–7, but this was a special practice to prepare for some upcoming fall events at church. As a result, we rehearsed from 7:15–8:30. This is not a big deal...unless you live an hour from church and need to spend the evening working instead of rehearsing.
None-the-less, I got through rehearsal (yawning fiercely the entire time), and sped to the car to drive home. A few minutes into a conversation with David on the telly, and I realized that I had—AGAIN—left my laptop behind. This time, it was in my office when I needed it at home. Can you feel my frustration brewing?
So I had to swing on over to Westerville before I could head North to the Mount. I didn't arrive home until nearly 10 p.m., at which point I had to dive into 3–4 hours of work.
I am so bloody exhausted today. I finally finished my project and shipped it off to the printer today, so I am all clear to crash in just a few minutes. I CAN'T WAIT! :)
Tomorrow, a better day. I can feel it! Oh and maybe some fully-functional Direct TV too. That would be nice!
Thursday, August 28, 2008
One of those days
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
WOW! I hate those days. Keep them up there. I don't want them here. I love the Chuck Norris move! Good for you.
Post a Comment