Thursday, July 10, 2008

What she said

Just a quickie so you all know I'm still alive (and buried in work, travel & Noah)...

I love my best friend, Deanna, dearly. She has one of the kindest souls of anyone I know, and she's helped me through some challenging times in the 12 years I've known her.

She also has a way with words.

For instance, when we lived in a shabby apartment together just South of Rte. 161 in Columbus, she came home one day and fired this off at me: "Did you see the new K-Mart up the road? It's the most beautiful K-Mart I've ever seen!"

No really, she said that. I think I paused and then burst out in laughter.

She also has a way of making me sigh in envy.

My freshman year of college when she and I roomed together in DK Hall at Otterbein, we were lounging around with our girlfriend Eileen. Leen and I were in the middle of a self-esteem crushing conversation—lamenting endlessly about our bodies, our wacko families, and finally what things we most detested about our faces (you know, the kind of diatribe every 12 to 22-year-old girl has). I can't remember which one of us—Leen or me—declared we needed a nose job and a new extended family, but Deanna responded with, "But I LIKE my nose, and I really love my family."

Ah, you gotta love her (and I do!).

But there's more. Deanna gifted me with her latest "comment installment" just the other day.

Before I share that, a little background: Deanna teaches dance for a living, so she's got a built-in exercise routine. As a result, she's tinier than when were in college (when we were roughly the same size before I packed on the freshman 15, the sophomore 5, the junior 5 and the senior 5...yep I ate a lot of pizza and I drank a lot of beer).

A few days ago I was chatting away on the phone with De about her dress fitting for her brother's wedding this Friday—which also marks less than three weeks since she gave birth to her THIRD child. I asked how the fitting went, and she delightfully told me that the seamstress had to take IN the dress. Hooray for De! No sighing on my part yet...

...but then she adds, "Yeah, I even fit back into my pre-pregnancy jeans today. As a matter of fact, I boxed up all of my maternity clothes and gave them away."

Huh?

—Insert BIG sigh here—

My comment to her: "Deanna, I just put away my favorite pair of maternity jeans a few months ago—approximately 11 months after giving birth to my first child."

Lucky, lucky girl.

I do love her, that crazy-talking, self-esteem brimming chica who just has a way with words...

3 comments:

JWilson said...

Wow Good for her!! I was able to fit back into the pre pregnancy clothes with my second but no matter how much I exercise or starve myself I will never fit into any of the true pre pregnancy clothes and it kills me everyday.

Anonymous said...

Oh Deanna, if I didnt love you so damn much, I would have to kick your butt :)
Good on my girl! But the jealousy is creeping away slowly because she IS so daggone nice!
I am CURRENTLY wearing a maternity shirt and starting WW every week for five weeks.
MONDAY IS THE DAY... I think.
Em

Anonymous said...

Oh Tif...
Thanks for letting me read that. I really needed a smile today. So De...thinner then you were back then, huh? Yeah, I'd stay away from any asian girls in dark corners. ha ha. I am actually smaller now then I was in college but I have to say.. since Anatalia's birth things have, well, shifted and redistributed differently, hmmm... I love you girls. It's been too long (12 years, really?) but I carry your friendships with me still.
Leenie