Wednesday, July 30, 2008

From peanut to little man


Something is changing in Noah. He's less and less "baby" every day. His bubbly personality has been larger than life lately, and his little mind is absorbing and processing new things faster than I can teach him. I just marvel at all the things he can already do.

He can talk! I think Noah's saying 12-15 words (some well, others more in gibberish), and signing about 10 others. I love that we can communicate with each other in new ways. The phrase I'm most proud of (here comes that boastful mom stuff) was when he signed "More milk please" three or four weeks ago. That's three signs he had to put together to form a rather complex request for his age. I was floored.

He's climbing & running everywhere...on everything and everyone. About two weeks ago he started properly dismounting from all the things he's climbing. Because we don't have stairs in our house—at least not ones that are safe for him to use—we didn't have a good way to practice the natural progression of "up" and "down." But he figured it out anyway, and I love watching him flatten out on the ground sometimes two feet from his "down" destination. Here he is going down the deck stairs (a new addition in our house) this week:


He sings songs with me. Our favorite songs are "Head, Shoulders, Knees & Toes" and "Itsy-Bitsy Spider." The first song has basically taught Noah all his major body parts, and I love quizzing him to show me where his head, eyes, ears, etc. are. He loves it too! And the other day I asked Noah if he wanted to sing a song. He signed "please" and then started to do all the motions to "Itsy bitsy" without my prompting. His wild gestures were so flippin' cute all I could do was laugh. I made up for it by singing the song—with motions—at least 10 times when I could get myself under control.

He's eating with utensils... sort of. Since he was about 10 months old we've had decent success getting Noah to use a fork. Until recently we've had to stab the food for him, and then he could pick it up and get the food into his mouth. The last few weeks he's been valiantly trying to do it himself. Spoons have been a little more challenging. This is the first week we've co-held the spoon for scooping and let him hold it himself to his mouth. He's not so good at the entry, but he's got the right idea.


Can't wait to see what he's doing next month!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Tif- He will continue to amaze you. That is the beauty of these babies. He is such a precious guy. Give him a kiss from Auntie Jen.

JWilson said...

It is amazing how fast little ones learn. Enjoy him as much as you can!