Thursday, July 10, 2008

First Annual Compan Family Vacation Awards: Kalahari Edition

What a week it's been! I've been meaning to write this post since Sunday, which makes me officially four days (or so) late.

None-the-less, here is a recap of my vacation after the pre-vacation...

Following our shadytown stay at the Rodeway Inn Sandusky North, we were rather happy to step through the African-inspired doors of Kalahari Sandusky (the nation's largest indoor waterpark & resort) and into a gorgeous suite called "The Village." Our roommates were: Tim, Ni, Matthew, Adam, Jen, Chris, Andrew, Brendan and Evan. Mom, Dad, Jeff & Emily stayed in a room next door.

It was, as usual, an event to remember. The decibels rang, the drinks flowed, the stories recited, the people laughed. It was good. And now, the first ever Annual Compan Family Vacation Awards: Kalahari Edition.

MOST GENEROUS...




...goes to Mom & Dad (aka: Grandma & Papa). They have paid for our ever-growing gathering each year since 2004 (months after David and I met). We bring (most of) the food, they provide the lodging. What a deal!

MOST ENTHUSIASTIC...



...goes to the six rowdy boys known as the grandkids. Noah was a mere tag-a-long this year, but the other boys were bouncing off the walls the moment they saw each other. And their energy didn't stop until they said goodbye (at which point they replaced laughter for tears).

BRAVEST SLIDER...



...goes to Brendan, who was terrified to ride the "Toilet Bowl" slide, but went down it anyway! He told us he's not going to ride it again, but good for him for trying.

BUSIEST BODY...



...goes to Noah, who only stopped long enough to sleep and eat. He loved lapping the hotel suite and sliding around the waterpark. He also wins the...

BEST PICTURE...



...Noah again! (With all the impartiality of a mom as judge.) Daddy and I took him in the wave pool on the last day and the gentle bobbing up and down (when you go to the deeper section) put him right to sleep. Awwwwww....

CUTEST IN MATERNITY CLOTHES...



...goes to my sister-in-law, Emily, who was sporting a collection of adorable striped tops and a sporty swimsuit.

BEST DUET...



...(strangely & scarily) goes to David and my MOM for their rendition of "Why Don't We Get Drunk & Screw?" by Jimmy Buffet. That was a memorable moment!

TOP CHEF...


...goes to Tim, who whipped up this awesome pizza salad and bruschetta one night for dinner. Yum-o!

BEST GROWN-UPS PHOTO...



...goes to Ni and Jeff, who posed for this one after two fruity drinks on Saturday afternoon. They were officially in their happy place (lucky ducks!).

BEST TECHNIQUE...



...goes to Adam, who's demonstrating phenomenal form on the shuffleboard court. And I'm pretty sure his team (Brendan) won!

BIGGEST EFFORT...



...goes to Jen, who worked so hard to endear ALL of her nephews to her, including the slightly-shy-to-ladies Noah.

NICEST MOMENT...



...goes to Noah and I for the nap we took together on Friday, the 4th. My brother, Jeff, captured a shot without my knowing, then David snapped the one above after I was in and out of sleep. I really miss those naps with my big guy, so I'm grateful for the forever memory.

Congrats to all the winners! And now, some more pictures just for fun.

Noah loved splashing in all the bubblers.



Andrew struts his stuff on the leap pads while Matthew waits his turn.



The big boys get crazy at the Tree play area. I happened to catch them as they were working their way up the tree's tunnels and levels.



Evan sports a smile on the merry-go-round.



Noah takes his first spin on the fancy horses.



This rare photo has my brother-in-law, Chris, in it (middle)!



Andrew & Matthew lounge at the shuffleboard court (Noah doesn't believe in sitting).



Until next year's awards ceremony... goodnight!

2 comments:

Jen said...

The boys and I enjoyed the post. Great pictures! We had a great time! Brendan is proud of his Bravest Slider award!

JWilson said...

Wow you guys are so lucky to be able to do something like that, I'm super jealous!

Looks like everyone had a great time.