Have you ever taken a picture of an amazing sight—whether it be nature, kids, animals, whatever—and you were giddy waiting to see it appear in the display window (or to be developed at the store if you're an old-school photographer)? And when the picture forms, you're utterly disappointed with the results. Pooh.
This happened to me earlier this year when I tried to capture a lunar event when the moon was supposed to look enormous and "saggy" on the horizon. It was fantastic, but my camera wasn't.
I tried again last Saturday to capture another nature "wow" moment. On the way home from the Pennsylvania wedding we attended, the skies began that infamous rain/sun combo that produces brilliant rainbows. And just as we turned on our street, there was one of those glorious ROYGBIVs (Anyone remember that acronym? Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet.).
I stopped the car, whipped out my new Kodak digital camera and clicked away. The result was less than impressive. My rainbow was a definite rainblah. In my defense, it wasn't the most brilliant rainbow I've ever seen, but it was still lovely. And for a few seconds it was even a double rainbow (the most I've seen is triple... SO cool!).
See?
What reminded me about my rainblah was a blog post by my pal Lindsay. One of her cousins snapped the most beautiful rainbow picture on her wedding day last weekend. Lindsay posted it on her blog as her "Friday's Foto Finish Fiesta" submission (for more on all that Friday Photo business, go see Candid Carrie). Seriously, you've got to see that rainbow picture; it's beautiful. Click here to check it out!
I've decided officially that I need to either: 1) stop attempting to capture nature moments or 2) get a camera designed to capture nature moments. Since we still haven't found a money tree in our woods, I'm afraid I need to hang up my nature pho-tog hat. It's probably for the best. At least I still have Noah to photograph. His pictures always turn out well.
Saturday, July 19, 2008
Rainblah
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
I totally remeber ROYGBIV! I think your pic turned out just fine. I can see the rainbow. Lindsay's pic was amazing though. As I said on her post I am so bummed that my one and only nature pic that has turned out is MIA> :(((
I say don't give up yet, you never know when you'll get it just right.
I like the picture! We actually have a cool little picture of the boys in the yard with a rainbow. I will have to post it sometime.
Hey it's not a bad pic I can see the rainbow! Don't give up you'll get one when you least expect it!
Post a Comment