Nothing like alliteration to get a blog entry rolling! I think the use of this literary tool says two things about a person: 1) It shows a fondness of words and 2) It demonstrates a certain level of geeky-ness about a person. I think I fit the bill on both accounts. But without further delay, let's get back to the blog at hand...
Well that's not really true (the delay part). When it comes to my role as "aunt" to five nephews (and one niece-to-be), I'm always behind the eight ball. My delays range from a few days to a month... or two. Those poor boys usually get birthday presents and holiday greetings a week late, at minimum, and sometimes not until the next holiday is already upon us. I know...for shame, for shame.
It is my hope that, regardless of tardiness, they know that Aunt Tif (and Uncle David, of course) loves them to pieces. Today, I'd like to direct my love to Brendan, one of my "middle" nephews (note to Andrew, whose birthday has already passed this year: please forgive me as I was still getting my blogging chops down to a science in March! I'll highlight you in just eight months, I promise). 
Brendan, who turned seven the last week of June, is my sister Jen's middle child (Andrew's 8, Evan's almost 4). He is part comedian and part sweetheart... a whole lot of sweetheart. If Bill Cosby (and whomever the original host was) were still hosting the show, "Kids Say the Darndest Things," I am certain Brendan would have been featured.
I remember one time when he wanted to dig up my grandfather's grave so that he could get a good look at his bones—I think because he was into dinosaurs at the time and the whole excavation scene. When Noah was born—whose middle name happens to be Riley—Brendan asked Jen "Who's that Niley guy again?" For a while there, I thought Niley was going to stick as a nickname... it never did.
But Brendan says sweet things too. When we were at Kalahari a few weeks ago, we had this dialogue.
B: Aunt Tif, I don't just like Noah; I love him.
Me: That's so nice, B! Noah loves you too.
B: Really?!
Me: Of course. He just doesn't know how to tell you yet.
When he's not talking, Brendan is a busy 7-year-old. He LOVES sports right now. He and his brothers like to collect football cards in droves. When I was home for Jeff's wedding, Brendan and Andrew showed me ALL of their best cards (and sad to say, I only recognized a handful of names).
Golfing, swimming, soccer, baseball, etc., etc. He's one busy dude.
I wish that we lived closer to Brendan and the rest of the Doucette family so we could enjoy him and his memorable phrases every day. Instead, he lives in Wisconsin, and our visits are limited to 4-5 times a year. Still, I'll take what I can get, and I'm already looking forward to the holidays when we'll see each other again.
Happy, happy birthday, Brendan!
Tuesday, July 15, 2008
Brendan's Belated Birthday Blog
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
I am sure all of your nephews know you and David love them. This was such a sweet post!
Brendan and I just read this together. He is so proud that you wrote this about him. Thanks for the touching message about my B!
Post a Comment