Saturday, May 17, 2008

Small-town charm

Last night David and I visited a pizza joint with the nicest, most friendly people we've ever met (at least since we've been together). We went to Nick's (Place? Pizza?) in Utica, a blink-and-you'll-miss-it town about 10 minutes from our house.

We have never eaten there before, but we've been meaning to get there since we moved to Mount Vernon two years ago (We had noticed that every time we drove by Nick's it was packed, so that piqued our curiosity). Last night became THE night because we were interviewing another potential babysitter replacement for Heidi in the area (result = passing on them).

So needing a little pick-me-up after our interview, we decided to treat ourselves to an inexpensive dinner.

We walked in the door and were seated immediately. We hadn't been there more than five minutes before both tables flanking our booth smiled brightly at us struck up a conversation. Everyone wanted to know more about Noah (one woman said he was gorgeous and guessed his age at 2!).

This went on for the next hour, people filling in and out, everyone stopping to say hello to our flirtatious one-year-old. As they left, people would say, "goodbye, Noah!" as if they'd known him for months.

We took the time to observe others too. It wasn't difficult to ascertain that everybody in that place knew everybody! Since it's one of only a handful of restaurants in town, I'm guessing many of the families in there were regulars and probably had watched their children grow up together.

It just made for a relaxed, enjoyable atmosphere. It's been a long time since we've witnessed such good-old-fashioned Midwest charm. It's also safe to say that we'll go back anytime we need a boost for our tummies and our mental state (oh, and the pizza was good too!).

5 comments:

JWilson said...

Was there a ice cream bar in there? When I was really little, Steph still a baby my mom and dad would take us to this amazing pizza place in Utica it had an ice cream bar to. I can't remeber the name so I'm wondering if this is it.

Candid Carrie said...

I just love the look and feel of your website. It is so warm and inviting (I don't know if I told you that before). I don't know how else to describe it. Kind of like going home, I guess.

JWilson said...

Hey lady I left you something on my blog so come and check it out.

Tiffany McCallen said...

There IS an ice cream bar! I bet it's the same place... although I don't know if it was named Nick's at the time. Very retro, very cool! We'll have to go sometime when you're up. :)

Lindsay said...

That sounds so nice! I love little small town restaurants like that. I wish every town was still like that. Maybe we will have to check it out if we are ever out that way! :)