Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Friday photo fiesta EARLY: Tattoo, part 4

My husband's threshold for pain is undoubtedly higher than mine. He is now 13ish hours into a full-back tattoo that memorializes his experience earning a Purple Heart as a Marine in Baghdad in April 2004.

To review, here is the piece after his first session last April:


And this one was after the second session in late July 2008:


And third time's the charm in August last year:



Finally, we arrive at last Wednesday:


Fantastic, isn't it?! But, there's more work to be done: finishing the wings on the right; adding a globe and anchor on either side of the purple heart (in honor of the Marine emblem); filling in the smoke on the right; and coloring the heart with just a touch of purple—the only color in the piece other than black & gray.

As for me, still no tattoos. I always say that David has plenty for both of us.

---------------------------------------------------

Candid Carrie wants to see your ink. Send your photos her way:


7 comments:

JWilson said...

I've said it before but I will say it again. That tatoo is just amazing and the symbolisim behind it makes me tear up everytime I think about it. It's such a great way to honor his sacrifices for our freedom and the freedom of others. Thank you David and I can't wait to see the next step.

SouthernDogwoods said...

Wow! That is awesome! So much artistic work!

Cheryl Lage said...

AMAZING. The tattoo, and your husband's service...and your sharing him. THANK YOU BOTH!

(and while I've got no tattoos either, THAT is a great one....)

Happy Fx4!

Jennifer said...

Wow--that is fantastic! I love how elaborate and detailed it is!

I don't have any tattoos either--but I really want one and I'm planning on getting one soon.

Unknown said...

wow! That's amazing! Did he design it himself?

I come from a family of many military men. My father has a purple heart from Vietnam and my oldest brother is currently overseas for the Navy. Both of my grandfathers were in the military as were 2 of my brothers-in-law.

Thank you for your service and sacrifice!

Aunt Julie said...

Wow~I don't know if I could endure the pain. Please thank him for his service!

koreen (aka: winn) said...

That's a big job! I'm not surprised it takes so long. Was it very painful? I'm like you... I don't have any and don't plan on getting any... but I had a belly-button piercing and oh-my-goodness-The-PAIN! They should really prescribe drugs for that! =)