It's been five years since my parents started the tradition of gathering and hosting our ever-growing family over the Fourth of July. When I think back to the first outing in Geneva, my parents had only met David once—maybe twice—before I boldly invited him to come with the fam. That must have been one enlightening trip for everyone.
Anyway, this year we tallied 17: 10 adults and seven kids (9 months to 9 years). It was, as always, a boisterous and memorable occasion. The time went too fast, including my opportunities to hang out with my family and relive all our glory days.
I noticed a great deal of changes this year. The big kids are bigger! They need less supervision, and I watched (perhaps a bit enviously) as my sister and sister-in-law both laid out on the beach while their boys built sand castles. I, meanwhile, capped that morning at the beach by carrying my 36ish-pound toddler back to the hotel while "poop juice" ran out of his swimmy diaper and down his legs...and ultimately all over me. Ick.
I also noticed how my brother's life has done a 180. Last year Jeff was a newlywed, and this year he and Emily were loving all over their gorgeous little one, McCamey. In fact, he even skipped out on both rounds of golf the men played. I tell you, my brother is obviously quite smitten with both his little ladies. To that I say, BRAVO!
But let's not dawdle. It's time to hand out the annual awards (which, as usual, will be rather lopsided so I can show off my favorite Noah pictures and are limited by my picture-taking).
Mom & dad. This year they put us all up in the beautiful Maumee Bay lodge, and they bought the whole gang some surprises (more on that later). Plus, they came up a day early to visit with my family & Jen's family, who were eeking out a little extra vacation time.
Jen, Chris, Andrew, Brendan, Evan: The Doucettes spent several days camping around Kentucky and Ohio before settling into the Maumee Bay lodge. We met up with them a night early, and Noah loved his first tent experience. Of course, we stayed at the lodge that night. Slackers.
The big kids. My mom bought a round of kites for all, and they took to the challenge with relish. Matthew even flew Noah's Elmo kite since he was far too busy to stand still.
David & Tim. These fools did a shoulder mount & tree climb just to save a $1 kite. I can't decide if they're dedicated or just plain silly.
Andrew, Brendan, Matthew, Adam, Evan. The guys played catch left and right. Reminded me of playing pickle back in the day...
Evs wins because it couldn't possibly be Noah. He became part of the annual sparkler burn statitics this year. Safe to say he won't feel sparkly for a while, even though this pre-burn shot is pretty darn cute.
It was a fantastic trip. Thanks to mom & dad, who foot the bill and bring us all together each year. Much, much love to you for everything you do to celebrate our amazing family!
And because I can't leave these out, here are some of my other favorite pictures:


2 comments:
Love the pictures! THanks for sharing the annual awards.
Sounds like an amazing vacation and what great parents to foot the bill for everything.
Post a Comment