Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Two weddings, four days: part 1

As the fog starts to lift from my cold, I realize how far behind I am in updating this blog. Until this week—when I've been in and out of sleep and Sudafed—life has been in fast-forward. Now it's time to rewind and catch up on everything you missed!

So, my big brother got married Friday, June 6th, to the lovely and sweet Emily Von Philp. It was a wonderful weekend—insanely hot—and wonderful.

The events kicked off on Thursday, June 5th, with a rehearsal at Squaw Creek Country Club in Vienna Ohio. First of all, that venue is GORGEOUS. Just like any other fancy schmancy golf course/country club, it had a handsome and exquisitely decorated clubhouse, lush greens and soothing water features.

So we gathered just behind the clubhouse/terrace/pool on the lawn of the club that overlooked several water fountains and greenery (picture perfect!) for the usual walk practicing, vow reciting, order shuffling, etc. My sister and her family weren't able to be there as they were driving the nine or so hours from Wisconsin. So that meant we had stand-ins for one bridesmaid, one groomsman and the ring bearer. No problem, mon.

All in all, I think all the rehearsing took less than a hour. Good thing... we were melting in 90+ degree weather, even though it was 5 or 6 by then. Hooboy!

Some moments from rehearsal:

Emily showing us where to stand while Jeff watches on (Emily's aunt and cousin in front).



The minister, who also happens to be Jeff's assistant basketball coach (high school girls), gives out instructions to the bridal party.



Vow rehearsal.



Great-Auntie Peg and big cousin Matthew watch Noah during rehearsal (great shot of the scenery too!).



Male bonding in the groomsman ranks (L-R: Brad Evan, my brother Tim, Rick Blevins, and Jeff).



After rehearsal, we hopped in our cars and made the quick trip to a local Italian place. There we enjoyed a great meal with the bridal party and family members on both sides. My dad, fulfilling his hosting duties, gave his tried and true rehearsal dinner toast. There are four children in my family, so we have had ample opportunity to hear, aka memorize, this speech. This year, he stuck to the script and inducted another family into the "There are three things Compans do well" insiders joke. (If you're wondering, we 1) Marry beautiful women/handsome men 2) Drink beer and 3) Golf. I obviously only manage 2/3, but David's got the trifecta going!)

Here he is, indulging us:




Laughs were heard all around, glasses clinked and more merriment ensued.

I have to mention that for a good four hours, my nephews Matthew and Adam (8 & 6) were extraordinary babysitter helpers (along with the amazing love and guidance of Auntie Peg) to Noah. They followed him around, prevented him from falling at inopportune moments, played with him, helped feed him snacks. I told Anita (their mom) that if they're still interested in babysitting in say 7 or 8 years, they've got a job!

Before we left to go home, Matthew told me that when he grows up, he'd like to invent something to help babies. And since he's a smart little cookie, I don't doubt for a second that he will! I smell another Baby Einstein fortune...

Once everyone had eaten and drank their fill, we loaded into our cars once again, and ours headed for the comfort of my mom and dad's house. I do believe others in the bridal party hit the town (much to David's chagrin... he was ready to kick back a few!). With a 1-year-old in our backseat, we opted for beer out of the fridge and a relatively early bedtime.

Friday, day two of wedding weekend, the boys got up early and went to play 18 holes at the swanky Trumbull (County) Country Club (I promise our family isn't loaded... Emily's folks totally hooked us up!). My sister and family had arrived in the middle of the night—around 3 AM, I think—but they still managed to get up and at 'em by 7:30 or so.

It was actually a very relaxing morning since the wedding didn't start until 5 or so that night. Jen (my sister) and I didn't have to hit the hair salon until 1, so we loafed around the house and hung out with the little boys—Andrew (8), Brendan (6), Evan (3) and Noah (1). Mom had gone to get her hair fixed early so that she could watch the crew while Jen and I got beautified later.

In this pic, Noah has discovered what he believes to be a more fun use of the play table Auntie Jen brought for him. He just pulled off the top and climbed on in! His cousins Brendan and Andrew are keeping him in line.



We ended up going early to the spa/salon, each of us needing an extra service or two to make ourselves wedding-ready (my nails were in serious need of TLC). I don't think men appreciate the effort that goes into occasions like this. I'd love to say we were ready in just 30 or so minutes like they were (probably less, actually). Instead, we pinned and curled and sprayed for a good two hours at the salon, and then continued the face-painting and glitter-speckling process at the country club's bridal room later.

Because no wedding is complete without before-and-after pictures, he's some "before" shots of the preparations.

Bridesmaid Danny (Danni?) spends her time in the chair.



The flower girl and maid of honor wait their turn.



Our beautiful bride begins her transformation from Miss to Mrs.



I'm sporting some Shirley Temple curls before they are pulled up into an elegant style.




It seemed like no time at all, and it was time for Emily to put on her amazing dress. I have never seen such a voluminous slip... the weight of that dress must have been staggering! But you never would have guessed once she had it all on. She was a "Wow" bride. See for yourself:

Emily with her mom.



And let's not forget the back of this gorgeous dress.




It was about this time that all the ladies were dressed in our pale pink, tea-length, A-line dresses, the men (in classic black tuxes and silver vests) were seating guests, and my sister-in-law Anita noticed that Tim (her hubbie and the best man) was nervously pacing about. She cornered him and discovered there was a bump in the road... the ring—Emily's ring—wasn't at Squaw Creek.

Stay tuned for part 2...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice update! I was beginning to think you were never going to recover from your cold! Welcome back-- Jen

JWilson said...

So far it sounds like a nice wedding!

Shauna said...

WHAT? That's a cliffhanger! I hate those! What happened? :)