Friday, June 20, 2008

Alphabet Pal, uncensored

We feel it's our duty to give a special thank you to Uncle Jeff & Aunt Emily for the Alphabet Pal toy they bought Noah for his first birthday. Honestly, Noah's really been enjoying it. He likes to yank on the string and push on the Pal's feet (as the Leap Frog company rejoices all the way to the bank).

And he's a cute fellow, see?



But one day, as we were exploring one of the four "modes" Alphabet Pal has to offer, David stumbled upon a fun game for adults: make Pal say naughty words. This can only be done in "phonics" mode, where the Pal sounds out letters.

At first, I admonished David for his childish idea. There he was, pushing away on the F...U... whoops! Then I had to laugh. Turns out Pal is programmed for bad adults who try to make it say bad things. When David hit the "C" leg, Pal let out a giggle and said, "that tickles." A good 4–5 seconds later, Pal finally let out a hard "C" sound, disconnecting any chance of Noah learning that bad word.

Undaunted, David tried other combinations... swear words, sex slang, racial slurs, you name it! Pal intercepted them all with more giggles and more tickling.

All of the sudden I found myself forgetting that I was above such an immature game and I jumped in on the action. "Try this one..." I offered.

Turns out the designers of Pal really made an extensive list of offensive words. I mean, David has quite a arsenal of foulness... he must have tried dozens of combinations. Pal even blocks ones I think are relatively mundane: sex, for instance. Guess that whole stork-brings-baby idea starts pretty young (or least it does in the Leap Frog company).

It's quite a wonder, Mr. Alphabet Pal. If you ever want to swing by and try out a few words for yourself, you're always welcome!

And thanks again Uncle Jeff & Aunt Em. We LOVE the toy too! :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, the Alphabet pal, we love him too. You got that for Hannah as a gift for her birthday and I will NEVER forget the day that we discovered that it would pronounce swear words. We tried EVERYTHING!
That is so funny to read because I never told anyone about it and its good to know I am not the only pervball out there that spent pretty fair amount of time trying to get my one year old's toy to sound out a swear word.
Good stuff.

Anonymous said...

Tif, We did that too with our Leap Pad writing game. It also would not pronounce anything. THe toy would just make a little noise that the kids loved! Jen

JWilson said...

I think I am going to have to go and get out the ffew leap frog toys we have to try this out.

Too Funny!

Shauna said...

That's amazing! Those people are smart cookies! :) I can't wait to play with it! :)

Lindsay said...

That is too funny! When Tiffany and Butch's son Hunter was little he had one of those and Robbie and I thought it was Dave W? figured that out. Of course they were cracking up and did it over and over. LOL! I guess where all a little perverted at times. :)