Tuesday, June 10, 2008

My dirty 30, in dribbles and bits

On Sunday I turned 30. I felt nothing, really, but chubby. It was 90+ outside, though, and that never gives anyone a feeling of slim thighs and sleek arms (slick, yes, sleek no).

And though I usually skip the birthday celebrating altogether (normally because of schedules and lack of time), this year I wanted to welcome a new decade with a bang... or at least a pop.

So we began a series of small pops that will unfold over the course of this week.

On Sunday, we popped with a birthday dinner at my mom's house. Joining in the fun were my David, Noah, mom, dad, Grandma Dilley, Rosalind, Great Aunt Anna Mary, Auntie Peg, Jean Garlock (family friend), my brother Jeff, and my NEW sister-in-law Emily.

For dessert we ate leftover chocolate wedding cake—Yum! (more on that debacle later).

My mom & dad bought me a great charm bracelet, including its first charm—a "T" bead. I opened other terrific gifts (and Noah too, since not everyone was able to make the long drive to our house for his party), and then we loaded up the car for the 3-hour drive home.

Yesterday, I took the day off to celebrate in my own way. I dropped Noah off at the sitter's house and wheeled into the parking lot at Easton. A short walk to Mario Triccoci later, and I embarked on my first fun activity for the day. A massage... ahh. I've been saving up spa gift certificates for a year or so, and I was ready for some pampering.

I enjoyed a 60-minute Swedish massage (terrific masseuse!), and then I was sent into the salon for a (long overdue) haircut. I told the stylist I wanted something fun, shorter and easy to do, and she decided I would look best with a classic, sleek bob. Right on! I think it turned out great. What say you?



After my haircut, this ultra-hip woman whipped up (literally, with that mineral powder stuff) some complimentary makeup... and was, I'm sure, ultimately dismayed when I purchased nothing.

Feeling coifed and relaxed, I left the spa/salon and wandered over to Barnes & Noble, where I browsed books, listened to music and just dawdled at my favorite turtle pace. Again, ahh... I did pick up three books there—two for Noah and one for me to read while I ate lunch.

On to Cosi, where I ordered my absolute favorite sandwich, a tomato, basil, mozzarella melt. Delish!

More wandering, more relaxing, and ultimately I ended up at Bar Louie, where I could look out on the town center and enjoy some quiet time. So nice!

Before I knew it, it was time to dash into work to check my e-mail for an hour or so, then head to Otterbein where I volunteered to pop popcorn for the Zero Year Reunion (a goodbye party for the seniors).

It was a great day... easy breezy with very few schedules and little demands for me. It was just what I needed! It would only have been better with some girlfriends or my hubbie. Next time, maybe.

So, what's next for the 3-0 pops? This weekend David and I hope to have any friends up who have the time and energy to travel an hour to our house for bbq and drinks. Noah will still be us since our overnight sitters are not available, but we plan to enjoy ourselves regardless. I'll let you know how it goes.

Happy 3-0 to me!

5 comments:

JWilson said...

It sounds like you are off to a good start with the b-day festivities. I love the hair and I will tell you after getting my cute short bob I don't think I will ever have another hairstyle. :)

The Arthurs said...

Hey b-day girl! I am ALL about extending bday celebrations for a week-plus. I LOVE the hair. It looks classy and cuty. And I also love that same tomato basil mozzarella sandwich from COSI. When you described your day at Easton, I felt like I was having my own little virtual tour, vicariously living through you. I could picture all of those fantastic treats happening to you! Yey.Glad you enjoyed. Love, tricia

Anonymous said...

I am so happy you got to put your GC to use! Your hair looks fabulous!
Lots of love to you baby!
Em

Lindsay said...

Sounds like a wonderful day! ahhhh! I could feel the relaxation. I love the hair. I cut mine a month or so ago and I love it short. It's easy to do and it's not so hot on these 90+ days. Glad you enjoyed yourself you deserve it. :)

MissRebecca said...

Happy birthday sweetie. I love the haircut - you look perfect!