Thursday, January 1, 2009

New year, new bed?

You've all read about our enthralling evening last night. Turns out I was wrong about even those exciting predictions.

We did eat the leftovers, and David did work on the bathroom. But then he laid down at 6:30 because he didn't feel well, and he just stayed down. So after we put Noah to bed, we watched a movie from our bedroom, and then I bid my hubby goodnight at 10. Due to coughing fits, we actually did end up ringing in the new year together, at which point we promptly fell asleep.

But today is a another day, another year. Last Jan. 1, I made a fine list of resolutions for the year, and for once I followed them relatively closely. They were:

1) Lose this baby weight...

This goal I actually met, way back in June (or May?). And then over the next six months, I found 6 of those pounds again. But, all in all, I'm starting off 2009 14 pounds less than the previous year. If I can do that again this year, I'll be in fine shape (for once!).

2) Spend more quality time with my husband...

I put in some effort here. I have tried to institute a "date night" policy every week... a date at home, yes, but still more quality time together than existing in our own roomispheres in the living room. We also took some overnight dates along the way, and those were wonderful! I can't wait to have another one, perhaps in February. And let's not forget about Jamaica. I managed to leave Noah behind for three nights (and that was enough) to hang out with David in the tropics. Ahh...

3) FINISH some projects around the house...

Between David and I, we have done some massive work on our house this year. I have to thank my husband for 95% of this list (because he's good like that):

  • Installed brick flower bed borders by the road
  • Built a deck
  • Installed new kitchen countertops and a new sink
  • Installed a new kitchen floor (almost done!)
  • Built a half wall in the kitchen and pulled out the dangerous spindle railing (almost done!)
  • Stained and rehung the the trim in the living room and hallway
  • Installed a new countertop, sink and hardware in the bathroom (painted too!)
  • Battled the lawn and made progress (including the removal of an enormous burn pile)
And I suspect I'm forgetting others, but this is good enough! We're already working on more renovations for the bathroom and the basement in addition to finishing up our kitchen projects.

4) Take a vacation...

We took two! First to Kalahari in July with my family, then to Jamaica in October.

5) Recycle!


I was good all year and had two trash cans—one for trash, one for recycling. I'd like to continue this tradition in the new year.

So, what's on my list for 2009?
  1. De-stress
  2. Lose 10–15 pounds
  3. Make more time for my family
  4. Remain employed
  5. Be kind
That's it! I'm simplifying this go round. We'll see how it all shakes out.

Noah, I believe, made his own list of New Year's resolutions. At the top of his list must be "Upgrade to big-boy bed."

Just a few days ago I put him down for a nap, and then only a few minutes later I heard a little voice loud and clear calling, "Mama?" I thought that was odd, since I remembered putting on his humidifier (for white noise in our non-noise-proof house), which usually muffles the sound in his room. So I padded down the hall to investigate and opened the door to my son standing on a storage tub turning off his humidifier... obviously not in his bed.

And today, David put him down for a late nap at 1:30, and a minute later the nursery room door opened, accompanied by an exuberant voice saying, "Dada!"

It seems we've crossed a new threshold. Is our little baby really ready for a big-boy bed? In my mind, Noah will always be this size:


Instead of the size/age he is now:


Guess that should be one more resolution for me in 2009: face the truth, your baby boy is growing up!

3 comments:

Jen said...

Oh Tif, I got a little sad reading the end of the blog. They do grow up so fast. Some of the change is welcome, and some is not.

Happy New years! Good luck on your goals.

JWilson said...

I'm glad you were able to celebrate the new year together.

I must say you year was much buiser than mine and you stuck to your reslotions so good job there.

I like your list for this year too and you def. have to add the last one too it. Noah isn't a baby anymore. You know that means its time for another one right? :))

Gamma said...

Good luck with bed ordeal, we are not there yet but dreading the day he climbs out. My sister in law (SIL as you would say) put her son in a toddler bed at 18 mos and he did just fine, however make sure that you have a bed rail so he does not fall out in the middle of the night and wake up because of it! And of course I know they grow up fast...add my sigh here!