Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I am proud of America today

I just had the honor and pleasure of watching the inauguration of the 44th President of the United States of America. Not only did it give me goosebumps, it made me proud.

I think about where our country has been—the civil wars, the segregation and racism, poverty and all things that have stood as obstacles to our present—and I am awed at what happened today. The first African-American president was sworn in, and millions of people from across the country were there to mark the occasion.

The swell of patriotism evident on television and in myself was emotional. In a time when we are all fighting to keep our heads above water, here is a nation seemingly rallying around a new president and what I feel will be a new era.

I know that just over half of the nation voted for President Obama, which means that the more 58 million people in America who voted for other candidates may have been disappointed that today's inauguration wasn't for John McCain and Sarah Palin. But I remain hopeful that in the four years to come, the party lines in the government and in our citizens will blur. I think this is the time for everyone to come together in support of our nation, not of republican or democrat (or black or white, for that matter).

Because it is in me to do so (I am, after all, a "half-full" person), I am excited for what is to come... maybe not a change that will happen this year, but a change that will happen. I already feel the tides turning, and I am happy.

5 comments:

JWilson said...

I'm glad someone is feeling happy today.

Shauna said...

Well said, Tif. Here's to America - and to BARACK OBAMA. Bring on the change.

Jen said...

Absolutely- I loved watching as well.

Emily said...

I am a total airhead when it really comes down to it, I like to see what the people are wearing.
I would LOVE to say I am all political but those who know me, know that I have a hard time making the decision of what to eat for dinner, let alone the leaders of our fine country.
I did think it was neat that the President was sworn in on Lincoln's Bible, that was really neat.
Told you, that is what I noticed, it is always nice to see a gathering of happy people together so more power to them.
Lets see what to come.

Anonymous said...

Despite the fact that it wasn't my candidate, I was proud of America, too. I'm hopeful that Pres Obama can tackle some extremely difficult problems well.

Brother Tim