Retired folks have all the fun. It has become apparently clear to me lately that if I work my fanny off for about 40-something years, I too can have a retirement I've always dreamed of.
I think my folks are living that dream. This weekend they stopped by on their way home from floating about the Caribbean for 14 days on a very, very large cruise ship and then bopping around the Florida area for a week. Smart people that they are, they missed the ultra-frigid temperatures Ohians (and all Americans) suffered the last few weeks.
So on their long drive home, they had a layover at our house before heading to Akron today for a show and to visit my brother's family. What a tough, tough life they lead.
Last night Gamma and Papa arrived around 5:30, just in time for Noah to give them the grand tour of all his toys while we waited for David to walk through the front door. I swear I had a perfectly clean living room when they walked in the door; Noah destroyed it in just 10 minutes, maybe less.
Once David arrived, we loaded up the car and went into "town" (that's how I refer to the 7-minute drive to civilization here in the Vern) for Mexican food at this completely nondescript restaurants. It's always busy, and always delicious.
When we got home from dinner, despite the fact that it was already a half hour past Noah's bedtime, he was considerably wound up. He decided to adopt Gamma's fuzzy winter coat and paraded around the living room in it. I thought he did a mighty nice Ewok impersonation, although you could also mistake him for a fluffy black Shih Tzu. In fact, when reviewing his pictures on Gamma's camera, Noah repeatedly said, "Doggie!"
Finally exhausted, he walked Gamma down the hall to his bedroom and enjoyed a bedtime story before crashing—sans the usual protest—for the night.
This morning Noah was delighted to wake up and realize that Gamma and Papa were still here. He immediately started repeating, "Hot coffee?" That's his phrase for Papa. He knows that Papa loves his hot coffee, and he says it anytime Papa's name comes up or when we're in his presence. Mommy, too, loves hot coffee, but I must simply not be as cool as Papa.
We had a yummy brunch this morning (I was trying out a new low-fat strada recipe—yum!), and then it was already time to see off Gamma & Papa so they could get to their show in time.
Thanks for visiting, Gamma & Papa! Hope you enjoyed the show.


2 comments:
It looks like you all had fun! I could barely make out mom in that little coat- Too cute!
I love the picture of you and Noah, so cute!!!!
Post a Comment