This is my African Violet. Yep, I have just one (doesn't everyone seem to have a collection of these little beauties?), and it was given to me by my dear friend Kristen J.
She gave me this plant at a baby shower thrown for me in April 2007 by the contemporary musicians at my church (Peace Lutheran). It was the second baby shower she'd attended on my behalf—all preparing for the arrival of my son, Noah—and the plant was the perfect mini gift. I do believe Mrs. J chose it because it is purple, and that is her very favorite color.
What has amazed me about the plant is that I haven't managed to kill it in the two years since I've owned it. I consider myself to have a light-green thumb, at best, and I usually don't do well with plants that are expected to flower.
But this little plant, which sits in the high-traffic area above my kitchen sink, in a well worn window box, just keeps going and going and going. And in late November this year, it surprised me by sprouting beautiful purple-blue (hey, violet!) blooms en masse. When I took the picture, it was already mid-December, so I missed the peak of color.
That unexpected round of blooms brought quite a smile to my face. Not only did it remind me of the bubbly and beautiful personality of my girlfriend and the long friendship we share, but the plant also makes me think of Noah, who is blooming and growing and thriving too.
Such are the simple things in life, happy reminders of all our blessings.
Now, go capture your greenery too and submit them to Candid Carrie's Friday Photo Finish Fiesta.
Friday, January 2, 2009
Friday Photo Fiesta: It keeps going and going
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



7 comments:
What a wonderful gift and story.
My thumb is probably a light green as well...
What a beautiful plant.
Lovely story to go with it.
What a sweet post! I probably would have killed the plant a long time ago. :)
What a great story! The violet is lovely. They're one of my favorite flowers. I might just have to get a new one cause I haven't had one since I moved here.
I love your sweet little violet. I am impressed, seeing that I cannot keep one alive for more than like 10 minutes!
Love you sweet Tiffers!
African Violets are so beautiful. I really like that there is just one in the pot. It helps single out its beauty. Great story too.
That is such a nice story....and a thoughtful gift. Glad its been thriving for you to give you so many nice memories.
Post a Comment