Saturday, January 31, 2009

Confessions of an addict

I have a problem (step 1: admit problem). I have developed an addiction to books written for teenagers about love, vampires, werewolves and killing sprees. It is entirely unbelievable—both the books and that I like them—but somehow I persevere.


The "Twilight" book series by Stephenie Meyer now has four books (and one on the way) in its coffers. The series has been both maligned for its simple writing style and impossible plot lines and adored by millions; many books have perched smugly on top of the NYT bestseller list for weeks (No. 1 = oodles of moola!).

I had heard all the fuss about the books for the last few years and had stashed that information in my mental "to-do" list. But it wasn't until my mom bought me the first book in the series for Christmas this year that I finally got around to discovering just how much I like a vampire family and its "teenager's" lust for a human girl. Sounds silly, I know, but somehow it works.

I read the first book in two days. The second and third books didn't last 24 hours in my house. And now I'm on the hunt—stalking something fierce—for the fourth book. I've already confirmed that it does not exist in Mount Vernon. We have one small-town bookstore here plus a handful of bookshelves at chain retailers—Wal-Mart, Kroger, and the like—but no Barnes & Noble to rely on. I almost ordered the book online, but then decided the shipping fees weren't worth it.

So, today I'm taking my obsession to the booming metropolis of Newark (Heath, actually) to the Indian Mound Mall. I figure there's a plethora of stores there I haven't walked into with a slightly maniac look on my face to ask, "Do you have the fourth book in the Twilight series?" I often wonder if the store clerks think I'M a vampire with the piercing gaze I must give them (as if to say: "If you've got the book, don't you dare lie about it... I'll KNOW).

I'm desperately hoping I find it today. I've got a cold coming on, and I know that I'll likely be horizontal more than usual. A book would be the perfect distraction to snot and coughing...especially that fourth Twilight book.

6 comments:

Jen said...

Let me tease a little- I am about 300 pages into the fourth and it is more addicting than the rest. . .Get ready! You know I share your addiction completely!

Shauna said...

Twilight rocked!!! I'm just starting New Moon now. :) Edward...YUMMY!

If you haven't seen the movie - don't. At least until you read the whole series. It disturbed my (so much better than the actual director) perception.

JWilson said...

I haven't read any of these books and really don't have the need to even though everyone round me is working on one of them. :)

On a side note when we lived in Heath there was a Waldens Bookstore in Indian Mound. Not sure if it's still there but I would think they would have the book for you.

Good luck finding it and I hope you feel better soon.

Emily said...

Oh Jess, thank GOD, I thought I was the only person on the entire planet that wasnt a Twilight person. (it might be just you and me, we need to stick together!)
Tif, I am glad you are working through your addiction, the first step is to admit, I am proud of you.
But if I had a minute to read, I think it would just be a People... I know, sad. The last two times I read a FULL book was on my Honeymoon EIGHT years ago (Memiors of a Geisha) Good Book, thank you Oprah and on a corp. training trip with humongous layoevers was "A million little pieces" Loved it until I found out that it was FALSIFIED information, thanks A LOT of that one Oprah!
Okay, I am done.
Wish I could help you Tif, but I have not a clue what is going on but I think they are vampires?

Lindsay said...

I am with Em in the fact that the only thing I read is a US Weekly or a People Mag. I am pretty pathetic.

However, I really would like to read the Twilight books to see what all the hype is about. It's on my to do list I just don't know that it will ever happen?? I have a book I borrowed from Jess what 2 years ago?? (maybe more that) I have yet to start. lol! so well see...

Good luck on your hunt for book #4. Hey by the time I get around to it you should have the whole collection so maybe I could just borrow it....haha!

trehberg said...

Tif I hope you found it - I've lent my copy out or I'd send it to you - yes, it's that good that I would totally support your addiction and mail it to you even though we've never met! And Jen's right- #4 is addicting! It'll be a quick read but ENJOY it!!! Love Edward!!!