Wednesday, October 22, 2008

One thing after another

When the going gets tough, I often have to sit back and say, "Hey God, what's the deal?" Sometimes it just seems as if a whole lotta stress, misfortune, tragedy, etc. hits hardest the kind of people in the world who definitely don't deserve it.

My best friend is having one of those kind of years. Poor Deanna... I talked to her this afternoon to relay the details of my vacation in Jamaica and to celebrate with her about her oldest son's first day of preschool tomorrow. All seemed just ducky, but then she called me back a few hours later and said, "Okay, can I just vent for a while?" Of course!

Turns out her water heater had just broken...all over her family's basement floor in fact. Sure, sure, that's not such a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but for Deanna, it's just one thing in a LONG line of "things."

I know that she officially has taken all she can handle. And in the very deepest places in my soul, I'm sending up a large, drooping, direct hit of a wish that this be the VERY last thing this year...that she is able to celebrate the holidays with her whole family and her new baby girl (well, her 4-month-old baby girl), and that she can look forward to the Times Square countdown in 2.5 months to officially turn the corner of a better year.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Oh Deanna. Send her my best wishes. I hate when the world rains on your parade all the time.

JWilson said...

It does always seem to happen like that. 2007 was not a good year at all for us but 2008 was better so I will wish that 2009 is better for Deanna and her family.

Emily Devaney said...

Oh De, tell her I love her so,so much!
If there is anything we can do that would help with the things, you know I am more tan there!
Would you email me her address??
Love you.
Em