Have you ever felt like life was spinning out of control, and you're standing in the center watching it swirl around you? You feel like you're standing still, but everything else is moving at warp speed.
I feel that way right now. I am utterly overwhelmed with work, my house, and myself lately. I've told several people that I feel like someone is standing on my chest, making is hard to catch my breath.
I never used to consider myself an anxious person; in fact, I'm known for being pretty well laid-back. But lately, I am entirely and utterly overwhelmed.
Sometime in the last three weeks, it all came to a head. As I was watching the swirl, I realized I needed to do something to simplify, or that spinning vortex was going to suck me right in. In the last 10 days, I've cut back on two volunteer posts I love to do—I'm down to singing with the praise team at Peace Lutheran now just one week a month, and I will not be renewing my officer post with the Sigma Alpha Tau alumnae group (my college sorority). These two things are in addition to already cutting out book club a few years ago (but I still go once or twice a year, just to see the girls).
If I could have my way, I would have chosen work as the cut-back candidate. It's not meant to be. It used to be that at least half of the year, my job was a pretty standard 40-hour-a-week post. I didn't mind spending the other half of the year working a little extra here and there, knowing that all offices have their busy times.
Now work has morphed into a 50- to 60-hour a week job, all year long. It's killing me!
I know a lot of you out there work long hours, so you're wondering what I'm complaining about. The problem is this: I work in the office on Monday, Wednesday and Thursdays—usually long days up to 10.5 hours. This still gives me time to race home and either catch dinner with David and Noah or just tuck Noah into bed at 8 o'clock... at which point I have to work again before collapsing into my own bed at 10. Tuesday I work from home, trying to cram in a full day's work in Noah's 2- to 3-hour nap. It's not happening, as you might have guessed.
The sad thing is that I know my schedule isn't even "busy" yet. Down the road there will be soccer games and after-school activities, sleepovers, and maybe even a date or two with my husband. I'm not even ready to think about that level of madness.
For now, I kind of feel like I'm clinging to a rock in a river, waiting for someone to rescue me. Unfortunately for me, that kind of rescue involves things that aren't going to happen right away: a shorter commute (can you say an hour each way?!), lower cost of living (gas is beating us up right now!), time to myself (what?!), a cleaning service, etc.
I do feel fortunate about one thing: I may be in that river—as I'm sure a lot of people are too—but I'm glad that I at least know how to swim.
Sunday, October 5, 2008
Looking for the light
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Of course, I can relate. I was just discussing with Chris that next year I, too, am cutting commitments so that I don't feel like I am shafting everyone.
There is no big light, however, to find. What you will find is a glimmer that keeps you trucking. What you find is Noah smiling at you when you need it most. What you find is just a semblance of what you before knew as life. Then, you adjust. I know- not the greatest advice, but it's what I have known to be true for me.
I have been amazed for a while that you have been able to do so much. I have work and bookclub and thats it and it can feel overwhleming somethimes with the kids.
Hopefully cutting back will help some.
Oh my sweet Tiff. I am so sorry you are having a tough time. I was there a few weeks ago for different reasons, but still. Please know that I am here for you and am really proud of you for taking a look at all you do and cutting back, that is hard, but needed! You are an amazing person, but you are also human and you need time as well.
I love you to peices sweetheart and if there is anything at all I can do, please please let me know. I will be thinking about you sweetie.
Hang in there Tif! I don't have nearly as many things piled up on my plate as you do, but I still totally relate to the overwhelmed factor. We love you!!
Hey girl-
Well I have some different committments than you do, but have been feeling the same way lately. Good for you for cutting out a few things...I think we all need to re-evaluate our lives, what is important and what makes us happy. Seems like we are all expected to do everything--and it just isn't possible. Take care and I hope things calm down a little for you soon! Enjoy your vacation--and hope to see you soon after you are home. Love, Sasha
Post a Comment