It's not every day I cross paths with a praying mantis. But on Tuesday when I was out and about with David and Noah, there this little guy was, just hanging out on the warm pavement of the bike path on which we were walking.
As I scrambled to get out my camera, his little legs clicked quickly into the grass flanking the path, so my once-in-a-lifetime shot turned into a much-harder-to-see composition, but I still think the end result is pretty cool.
National Geographic is right; these insects are masters of disguise. I almost walked right on top of him. The bike path was littered with small debris and sticks (compliments of Hurricane Ike, I'm sure), and he looked like any dozen other twigs crunching under my tennies. I literally froze my foot in mid-air when I caught the slightest glimpse of movement out of the corner of my eye.
What a close call!
Want to share your buggy pictures? Jump on Al Gore's Internet and head on over to Candid Carrie's for some phun, phun phun! The nice little girl below would be happy to show you the way...
Thursday, October 2, 2008
Friday Photo Fiesta: How did you get there?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



7 comments:
UH OH... looks like you will be coming back from your trip with a baby on board!
Isnt that how it works????
HEE HEE.
Love you,
Em
Cool picture- Looks like we both had nature themes today!
Great picture! Bugs are creepy but captured on film like this, they are almost approachable:-)
I was just talking about these with my hubby the other day. I'vve never seen one in my life and now it seems like they are everywhere. Cool picture
I can't wait to show my 7 year old your picture. He just checked a Praying Mantis book out of the library and is obsessed! Great pic.
So cool!! ...Al Gore's internet... that's funny!! TFS!
I've been lucky enough to catch a praying mantis in my yard in the past. It is so amazing to see them in real life. Love your pic.
Found you on Candid Carrie.
Post a Comment