Thursday, October 2, 2008

A beautiful day in our non-neighborhood

My new favorite view along the Kokosing Gap Trail

People who've never lived in Ohio in the fall obviously have no idea what they're missing. Just a few minutes in the glorious October preview afternoon we experienced a few days ago would have them packing up their bags and heading here to "the heart of it all!" (That's the crummy 1990's slogan Ohio used to go by, just FYI).

On Tuesday, I decided I really needed to stand outside and just breathe in a few lung-heaving breaths of the 68-and-sunny-sweetened air. So I recruited David and Noah to come with me into "town" to try out the other direction of the Kokosing Gap Trail we've walked on many times. Funny this is, we've never stepped on the path and headed to the right, so I decided it was high time we explore that route.

I'm glad we did. Our travels weren't very long, but they were fulfilling. After just a quarter mile or so, we happened across yet another of Mount Vernon's old/new combo playgrounds (I'm starting to think there's one on every corner; It's fabulous!). This one also boasted a skate park and tennis courts, which makes me think we'll have plenty of ammo for bigger-kid activities down the line.


What I loved about this playground was that it was a perfect day to be playing! There was a gentle breeze that picked up all the best scents of fall and lifted your mood as you ran between the seesaws and the swings. Both David and I found ourselves getting lost in the moment of gliding along in the warmth of the sun... you just can't bottle that stuff!

It was such a great afternoon that we found ourselves being kids. Here's David climbing up the jungle gym:


And here I am with Noah on the "up, up!" end of the teeter-totter (which, by the way, must not be designed for two grown-ups and a toddler. I'm pretty sure I heard some fierce protests in the way of creaking/cracking from those seasoned wood planks).


Noah's getting to be such a big boy he could almost hang by himself!


It's just not possible to go to a playground and neglect the slides. I think that's everyone's favorite part. By the end of the hour, Noah was climbing up the stairs, sitting on his bottom (sort of ) and sliding down all by himself. Where, I ask you, where is my tiny infant?! Long gone...


The best part of Tuesday was that I know it's just a taste of the gorgeous fall weather to come. The leaves are just starting to think about changing colors, and right now the landscape is coming alive in golds, purples and maroons. It's magic I tell you!

So sorry about your luck California and Florida, Ohio is the place to be in October.

1 comment:

JWilson said...

I would agree with you Ohio in the fall is amazing.

I love all the pics of you guys playing and that first picture is breathtaking. I think the kids and I need to make a trip to your neck of the woods one of these weekends before it gets to cold.