Thursday, October 9, 2008

Murder at McCallen Estates, part II

Four months ago I decided we have a resident ghost—most likely a woman like myself (short and leaning toward chubby) who had faced an untimely demise somewhere on our property and then was buried beneath the cement steps that have since been replaced with a shiny, new deck (Note to readers: If you're freaking out right now, some history will help). Nah, we never confirmed that such a sordid tale happened... but it surely does make for a good campfire story!

At any rate, if you remember, part of the spookiness of the tale was a mysterious attic access panel that neither David nor myself had moved. We have no explanation for it. Since May when we discovered it, I've waited patiently to see a raccoon or squirrel start tap dancing in the front yard—most likely a lost circus star—so that the whole panel incident would be justifiable. Nobody ever showed...

And since May, I've been waiting patiently for David to REPLACE said spooky access panel for two reasons: 1) short people have extraordinarily hard times reaching ceiling panels and 2) it's creepy up there!!

As any woman who has generated a verbal to-do list for her husband knows, the panel did not get replaced in May. Or June. Nope, July he was too busy too. August it was too hot. And September he just forgot. FINALLY, I convinced him this weekend that we needed to put that panel back in place. But, I made him promise that when he fixed it, he had to take a picture of the attic to see if any ghosts (or rogue circus squirrels) were living in our attic crawl space.

So here it is (drumroll please)....


I know, I was disappointed too. I don't know what I expected to see... footprints? Bright white shadows? A pup tent and a hot pot—recently used? I don't know, but it was disappointing to see nothing.

I guess it's good news for me—no ghosts, no guests. Happily, I can also report that the ugly and mysterious panel has since remained in place, dividing our attic from our closet and me from things that (haven't, but could) go bump in the night.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Stop freaking me out!

JWilson said...

First I have to say I love the new look it is so you!

Second, I was hoping for a little something in that picture. Let us know if the panel moves again.