"Love is a many splendid thing. It's the April rose that only grows in the early spring..." And all that good stuff. It's Valentine's Day, the ridiculously sappy parent of the Hallmark-inspired Sweetest Day.
Though I refuse (REFUSE!!!) to celebrate Sweetest Day (stupid Hallmark overlords), David and I also usually skip out on the typical Valentine's Day hoorah. His birthday is in 10 days, so we like to combine the two events and save some dough.
We don't skimp on Noah, though. Even though he has no idea that he should get a little treat on Valentine's Day, I can't imagine being a good mom without picking him up a little something.So today he opened up a Kissing Elmo, some dollar-store Sesame Street & Pooh books, and what seemed to be his favorite part of the package—some Gerber Fruit snacks.
But, despite the ban David and I put in place on gift-buying (cards only allowed), I got a little crazy and went crafty on us. Yesterday I dug around online and found some of my favorite love "stories" by this artist named Brian Andreas. He takes these really nifty things people say and illustrates them. See?

I discovered him in the Mall of America in Minneapolis last November, and his collection has literally been on my mind since. I decided this was the perfect time to put his stories to good use.
So, I found 10 or so snippets that I liked, and then I looked around for pictures of David and I to match them. I designed a quick layout (limited because I don't have my fancy color printers or cool paper stock at home) and pulled in the text and pictures I wanted. I printed them out, edged all the sides with an artistry trimmer, added a faux bow at the top and hung them up in our hallway like a gallery.
Here are some of my favorites:
Presents and cards distributed, I announced that we should go have brunch at the local diner, which I have taken a shine to in the last few months. It's one of those places where there are a minimum of 200 items on the menu, and the waitresses are rough around the edges but super efficient.
There was literally no warning (no gagging, no coughing, no reason to think he was anything less than healthy). I think we both just looked at each other, stunned, before we sprang into action, sopping up the mess and apologizing to our booth neighbors. Needless to say, we took our brunch "to go," and hightailed it on home. On the way there, poor Noah got sick again. And then an hour later...yet AGAIN! I can't decide yet whether he has a standard tummy bug (or from where?!), or if he caught Rotavirus from his friend at the sitter's house. Can't wait to find out!
My hubbie seems to think all isn't lost. He's planning to cook dinner for me tonight. I just hope Noah's tummy (and mine) can hold out long enough for me to eat it. And if that isn't romantic, I don't know what is.


6 comments:
Oh, lovely! Now you get to share in the yuck of it all! Andrew just told us he feels sick, so we are on pins and needles waiting to see if the final member will fall. Sorry you guys are just starting!
Nice present, by the way. How sweet!
Oh honey...I am thinking about you.
LOTS.
Love you tons and cheers to s SWIFT get well.
The photos are WONDERFUL!
Oh my! I have so been there and I feel so bad for you! I hope Noah is feeling better and does not get the Rotavirus. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the rest of the evening.
What a bummer! I haven't had a child get sick in public yet thankfully so I can't imagine how much that sucked.
I love your art gallery, you should get frames for them and leave them there it looked great!
I absolutely LOVE the photos. What a sweet and creative idea!! Sorry about Noah's special surprise... I hope everyone is feeling okay!!
Your craft project was a beautiful gesture and very creative!!! Good luck with Noah!
Post a Comment