Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Resurfacing

I am back—sort of. 


Around 6 p.m. on Sunday night, I pulled into my branch & debris-covered driveway and into the cool shade of our gigantic three-car garage/carport. I was exhausted and SO glad to be home.

On Monday, Noah blessed me with sleeping in until 8:07 a.m., at which point I drug my weary and lifeless body out of bed and into the kitchen to cobble together some sort of pseudo breakfast.

All day Monday, I sat on the floor, the couch, a chair, whatever would catch my heiny, and watched Noah run circles around me. The occasional burst of energy I experienced I channeled into being an engaged mommy, hoping that Noah didn't notice what a lackluster parent I was being.

Both nights I fell into bed as soon as I could—around 9 one night, and near 10 the other. I could sleep, I think, for an entire day without working at it.

Because that's not an option, I'm spending these first few days back in a zombie state. I didn't even look at my computer until this afternoon, choosing instead to ignore its presence, my brain not ready to compute full sentences, numbers or anything resembling work. 

Speaking of... I am back today... at work. My colleagues and I are a mess. One of us just went home early to nap; another didn't get in until after Noon, and yet another has already had two doctor's appointments to deal with the physical fallout of a week with incredibly high stress levels. 

I am burned out. Toast. Kaput. Blah. 

But! I am so thrilled to be blogging again, with a connection to the real world beyond the shrinking walls of my office. So glad to be back!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back!

Jen said...

Missed you! Welcome back!

The Arthurs said...

Totally missed your updates while you were gone. Sorry you're whipped. P.S. There's nothing wrong with going to bed at 9:00, much less 8:00 like I did last night!!! Sometimes we need it!

JWilson said...

Yeah, I'm so glad you are back. You have been missed