Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Go fly a kite!

There were a few hours, here and there on a daily basis, that I got to do something fun with my family in the weeks leading up to the RNA Conference in D.C. One of those things was to take Noah outside to fly a kite for the very first time.

Looking back to the Sunday before the conference, I'm grateful I didn't decide to whip out the kite in 80-mph winds (hello, Ike!).

Instead, we set our plastic-on-plastic contraption airborne on a balmy weekend afternoon with a gentle breeze—just enough for liftoff.

This is the kind of activity I was really looking forward to, David was so-so on the subject, and Noah didn't even know he should be excited. As other activities like this have turned out, I loved seeing the kite take flight, David grumbled that he had to yank the kite out of the big tree in our backyard (inevitable), and Noah lost interest after only a few minutes. Par for the course, I'd say.

Not only did he lose interest, he also lost the kite when we bravely (and stupidly) handed it to him... hence the tree-tied incident.

Regardless, I'm happy to have captured this (not-so) pivotal moment in Noah's life. If nothing else, he can one day ask me why I chose the "Backyardigans" as the stars for his first kite. The answer? They were cheap... just $1 at Wal-Mart.

Here is our $1 kite sailing high above our house:


And here is Noah flying it on his own... just before he let go:


A shot of David and Noah flying the kite together. Notice how much attention Noah has left...


Even though I didn't do any flying that day, I wanted to be in on the fun... for posterity's sake!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Ah, the memories we will have that they will not. The first of many. Cute pictures of the family, however!

JWilson said...

We bought the kids those cheap kites this year and have yet to get them out. Everytime it was right for kite flying we were busy doing other things. I had forgot about them until now. Maybe we will find a good day before it get to cold.

Maybe next year Noah will have more interest. :)