Sunday, September 28, 2008

Before we lost to USC & before Ike blew down our trees...


...we spent some quality time at the local playground. This was Sat., Sept. 13, and I was in dire need of getting out of the house (and away from work, the computer, etc.). So I talked David into heading into town to visit our favorite play area, despite the fact that it was a freakish 90-something and stifling (in September...in Ohio!). Although, now that I think about it, a breeze did pick up around 6 p.m., what I now recognize as foreshadowing to Ike's destructive winds to come.


When we got to the playground, there was an important decision to make: do we go to the toddler area, or do we brave the bigger-kid stomping grounds, which boasts a much newer and snazzier selection of slides and climbing walls? We took a leap and headed to the area deemed for kids "4 years and up." Oops, Noah is just 2 years and 9 months shy, but we continued on with reckless abandon anyhow.


Noah loved it! He loved watching the big kids run circles around him, and the big kids made a game of racing to the next obstacle "before the baby gets here!"

We even caught a glimpse of Noah's future love affairs. A little girl who must have been a year or so older than Noah noticed him right away, and began to follow him. I think she even tried to hold his hand at one point. Surprisingly, our little flirt played things a little shy, which is definitely not a technique he learned from his father.


I was nominated to take Noah down the roller slide, which sends a normal kid flying south at warp speed, let alone a 30-something chica and her bambino. We flew! I even earned a mild speed burn from holding onto the side of the slide to slow us down.


We finally got smart and figured out that Daddy could stand below on the ground and "guide" Noah down after I got him situated at the top. You'd think we could have determined that one from the get-go...

I think we only stayed at the playground 30–45 minutes. We were melting by then, and the big kids started coming out of the woodwork (too many for an underage trespasser to avoid). But, it was still the perfect escape from reality for me, and another fun outing for Noah and Daddy.

2 comments:

JWilson said...

So I think you just wanted to go down the slide. :))

I wish we had a park like that closer to us. All the really good ones are kind of far so we just walk to the one at the end of the street.

Jen said...

I laugh because we used to have the littles one at the park. Now ours are the ones running with reckless abandon, no fear/ compassion for the little ones.