What a nice night I just had! David, Noah and I were just treated to an evening of grown-up interaction with Mr. & Mrs. J (aka Tomasz & Kristen).
The J's drove up to our house to return my futon from 2003-ish, that Kristen has had for at least 4–5 years. I bestowed it upon her when I was moving into an apartment that had ZERO room for extra furniture, including my beloved new futon (a decent one too!).
She has moved it into new dwellings once or twice since it's been in her possession, each time asking me if I needed it back... and each time me telling her "oh no, you keep it." But the time had come. She and Tomasz had been harboring it in their spare living room as their pseudo-couch. They just purchased a new, REAL couch for that room, so the futon had to go.
Plus, the delivery was a great excuse to get together. It's been way too long!
So up they drove to the Mount (a good hour from their cute house in Gahanna). When they arrived, we instantly split into men & women groups—David taking Tomasz immediately to show off his newest gun (uh-huh... male bonding at its finest), Kristen and I pouring out a glass of wine while we kept an eye on my always-busy little man.
When the boys came in, we ate our first grilled-out meal of the season: chicken, pork kabobs, burgers, corn-on-the-cob, green beans, baked potatoes & cocktails! Sadly, this is probably the healthiest meal we've ever provided for company at our house. We're normally a chips-and-potato-salad sort of host.
After dinner, we simply hung out. Noah kept us hopping, and ultimately we ended up sitting on the floor in his nursery so that we could talk and he would be entertained by his piles of toys. (SIDE NOTE: little man was walking EVERYWHERE last night. He was really on a roll!)
I HAVE to mention two things about our conversation late into the evening that had me cracking up (a little Merlot helped too, of course)... with full disclosure that I got permission to blog about it.
Kristen, my dear, dear friend, has a way with words. She is much like my best pal Deanna in that I always want to write down the sentences that come stumbling out of her mouth—absolutely forthright and sincere, and oh so sweet. As she has admitted, animals aren't her strong point...animal anatomy (even though similar to a human) is probably her weakness. We've had many conversations over the years where I end up rolling on the floor in a fit of laughter, but tonight my gut was splitting with this little short story:
Kristen's & Tomasz' dog had gotten into a pile of baby rabbits. Though well-intended, this little pup in question "mothered" one of the bunnies into an early date with Cottontail Heaven. When this proud, mama puppy brought the floppy (sadly, literally) bunny to Kristen & Tomasz, K said that this couldn't possibly be a rabbit because they don't have four legs. She said that bunnies sit on their haunches and hop... just two legs, not four.
Oh bless her. That had me in stitches! Tomasz obviously set her straight. I just love it. Her interpretation of the animal kingdom is always hilarious.
Mrs. J, I love you. That made my night!
David and I were just tickled to have had visitors. We don't get many folks up here in Mount Vernon, so this night was a treat. It was just what we needed.
Wednesday, April 23, 2008
Wow. I needed that!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment