Six-and-a-half weeks have passed since the new year began—plenty of time to really dig in to the 2008 resolutions. Is that what I've done? Sort of. For today, let's concentrate on resolution #1: Lose baby weight.
On January 2, the bathroom scale in what I can only describe as a mocking tone, announced I needed to lose 20 pounds to get back to my pre-baby weight. Ouch. (On Jan. 1, I was busy eating my favorite meal... spaetzel, mashed potatoes, sauerkraut, kelbosa, etc... no dieting that day!)... Let's not discuss the pounds that had accumulated before the stick turned blue... I'll worry about them later.
So over the month of January, I managed to dial down the number of times David and I ordered pizza in a week, and I dusted off my tennies a few times. It was a step in the right direction, and added up to a weight loss of two measly pounds. Granted, I was hardly trying, so I should be happy that the two pounds of cookies, ham/turkey & mashed potatoes I ate over the holidays practically melted off by themselves.
In February, I buckled down further, working out a fraction more and fixing healthy meals on a regular basis. Another pound disappeared.
And this week, I really got serious. A giant box arrived with dozens of meals—35 breakfasts, lunches, dinners and desserts/snacks. All hail Nutrisystem!
Nutrisystem is what I asked for this Christmas. It's a wonderful weight-loss program, but it's expensive as all get out. David and I haven't managed to find a packet of seeds yet for our money tree orchard, so I had to scrimp my Christmas cash and other miscellaneous bits of money to save up for a two-month supply. It was looking like I'd have to wait until Spring to buy the program until my wonderful husband kicked in a few hundred dollars he'd earned working a side job. What a sweetie!
I started the program on Thursday—Valentine's Day. It's been a rough start, though. Thursday my company had a birthday outing at Sapporo Sushi Factory (delicious); Friday I had a dinner date with good friend Kristen Jarzecki; and yesterday I just had to indulge in a few G&Ts since it was my Valentine's present.
Even with those bumps in the roads (cheats?), I've still managed to shed two more pounds in three days. I'm sure my results would have been better had I forgone all social eating/drinking this week, but I consider those two pounds a small victory.
So on this morning, I've lost five pounds total—25 percent of my baby-weight goal. When you say it like that, it sounds like real progress! And even though my clothes are still snug, I can already see a slight slimming in my face. Just getting this water weight off has left me less "bloated" looking.
Truly, it's exciting. I know that five will lead to ten, and ten will lead to fifteen and so on. Once I get to 20, I'll decide where my next goal is... probably 20 more. But we'll see.
In the meantime, check out what 35 days of meals looks like when you're on Nutrisystem:
It's a whole cabinet of cheery-colored boxes, bags and cups. Yes, it's fun AND a bit disturbing all at the same time. Of course, this picture does not include the mandatory salad, veggies, protein and dairy servings you ADD to each meal, but it does give you a very accurate picture of "What's for dinner?" for me over the next four weeks.
For those that are curious... yes, the food's actually pretty good! Here's a sample menu:
Breakfast: scrambled cheddar eggs & ham, small apple
Lunch: cheesy mashed potatoes, & a side salad with chicken
Snack: grapes & string cheese
Dinner: spinach & cheese ravioli with meat sauce, two veggies, & a salad
Dessert: chocolate cake (yes, cake!)
Not a bad way to diet...
I'll try to check back in weekly so you can track my progress. You just wait; give me a few months, and I'll be back in my old, out-of-style jeans again! Can't wait. :)
Sunday, February 17, 2008
Update: resolution #1
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
YOU GO GIRL! I am so proud of you! Any pounds should be considered victory!
Good for you!
Oh, and when you find the seeds, could you toss a few this way? It couldnt hurt to have a money sappling! hee hee LOVE YOU!
Keep it up! You are definitely heading in the right direction. And...25% already...sounds good to me!
Wishing you lots of encouragement. Blogging about losing weight is BRAVE. Accountability is scary. You go, gutsy girl! Proud of you.
i love the progress reports! and we're so proud of you! :)
Post a Comment