I'm making peace with my annual, inappropriate treatment of the Lent season. As many of you know, yesterday was Ash Wednesday, the official kick off of the 40-day (minus Sundays) season of Lent. Those Christian churches who practice lent get to spend the next six-and-a-half weeks wandering around the proverbial desert like Jesus did, only our desert is intended to be one of sacrifice (and there is obviously no warmth and NO SAND in Central Ohio this time of year). It truly is an "ash" kicking, so to speak.
This is where the traditional practice of Lent takes a wrong turn in my sometimes twisted world. For the last 5+ years, I have used Lent as a weight-loss tool. Oh yes, it's true. It's really the only time of year that I actually follow a healthy diet. Something about being held accountable by the biggest boss there is gets under my skin. Sure, you could argue that if I were a truly devout Christian, I would try to live my very best life—including a healthy lifestyle—365 for all the days of my life, because like Santa, God is always watching.
And that's where my most common sin takes center stage. I am the queen of gluttony. I can only manage to live up to that healthy lifestyle for 12.5% of each year (with the exception of two years—one where I was losing 40 pounds after college, and one where I had recently been dumped).
In the last few years, this trend of using Lent for good—but bad—purposes has started to bother me. I developed a bit of a guilt complex about last year, and I could feel the shame or remorse rising up in my this year as I noticed the Mardi Gras decorations piling up in stores (hey, did you know Fat Tuesday has religious history?!).
Last night at the Ash Wednesday service at my church, I was sitting next to Kristen Jarzecki and my other fellow Peace & Praise singers, and I was thinking, "Here we go again... another season of dieting for Jesus." Oh that sounds dorky and wrong in my mind and in print.
But! It was about that same time that one of our pastors—Yeah, Doug!—was giving one of the prayers. In his prayer, he said something about making this year's Lent a chance to leave behind our weariness and the things that weigh us down. He told us that this year, we should try to live our very best life.
What?! Is this the papal (okay, not really Catholic) pardon I've been looking for?! I mulled this over for a bit, and now I think yes... yes it is! It is NOT such a bad thing that for nearly 13 percent of the year, I try to better myself. Sure, I need to aim higher than that, but it's a start. And maybe my annual Lenten diet is God's way of working THROUGH me. Perhaps the big guy (or girl, or animal or any other godly being) knows that I am hopeless when it comes to dieting. Each year, he cheers me on from heaven, saying, "Okay Tif, this is your year! I'm going to give you a 6.5-week head start, and then you take it from there."
So, with that in mind and ashes freshly washed from my forehead, I'm going to launch into Lent, and then hope to carry my best-life practices through the rest of the year.
Thursday, February 7, 2008
Ash kicking
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Oh Tif, you are so refreshing! You know my Dad does the same thing, he gives up meat and goes all vegan for Lent and then picks up his health consious ways again. I love your post, "dieting for Jesus" that is classic, hey at least you are doing something!
Lent always makes me feel bad that my Catholic half never gets attention, so I do something horrible "forgive me father for I have sinned" I "give up" something that I know I already have given up so I feel like I am honoring the tradition and at the same time making myself feel better. There, I said it. Fire and brimstone may be headed to my house, but I believe, very strongly, that to be good with God, you need to be a good person with a true heart and Tif, you have that honey. You are a wonderful good person with a heart of gold and God loves you for that!
He probably even gets a kick out of your guilt about going healthy for Lent, I know for a fact that you are not alone.
This coming from the twisted mind of a half Jew/half Catholic probably does not merit too much.... but at least you are doing SOMETHING in God's name and you are concious of it...do not worry sweet sister, he loves you. He made you, and you are quite awesome!
Thanks for a wonderful post that really made me think (I know I do not do too much of that of late)
You go girl! You're better than a lot of us! Who cares what your motivation is - at least you ARE motivated! :) GO JESUS! :) GO LENT!
Don't be too hard on yourself, you are still a good Christian whether you try to use lent as a kickstart for weight loss you are still giving up something. What about all those who say they are going to give something up but don't, does that make them not worthy of God's love...absolutely not! You are awesome, and people show their love to Him in different ways.
Post a Comment