Friday, February 29, 2008

Nutriquest update & my letter to Jesus

Here I am... officially weighing in! Ya know, this feels a little more like Weight Watchers than Nutrisystem. Blogging about my weight-loss journey is a little bit like going to weekly meetings.

Anyway, this has not been a stellar seven days for my Nutriquest. Last Friday, I diligently packed five meals to take with me to my parents' house and to the hotel for David's and I's romantic 24-hour getaway. Out of those five healthy meals, I managed to eat one. Just one. Oops.

I started strong on Saturday. I ate my tiny cup of Nutrisystem cereal with a half a banana and a yogurt, exercised with my mom (side note here: my mom is 60, thin, and could kick my butt in any exercise right now. Wow.), showered and was feeling pretty pleased with myself.

As a matter of fact, I even fell in love with my mom's scale that morning. In three consecutive weigh-ins (I like to do best out of three), it was registering 7, 9, and 11 pounds of weight lost, respectively. Hot dog! My mom happened to notice me stepping on and off the scale as she walked by the bathroom door. She said, "If you find something you like, stick with it." So noted.

By 1:30 that day, I was happily munching on buttery movie popcorn. Now, I did try to get the junior popcorn, but my hubbie talked me out of that. AND, I did not partake in a single chocolaty goober. That was a small victory.

And then Saturday night David and I ate in the casino. The buffet was actually quite good, but I somehow couldn't locate the salad table. Hmm.

Sunday morning everything went downhill... first it was McDonald's, then it was my mom's home cooking and a carrot cake for David's birthday, and then it was a bag a Cheddar Fries on the way home (my favorite junk food).

Ugh. You see why I have trouble with my weight!

I didn't think all was lost on Sunday night. I figured I could wake up Monday morning and start fresh... and then I spent the next eight hours—when I should have been sleeping—blowing my nose, sneezing and all the other things you do when you're coming down with a nasty cold.

Feeling crummy, to me, didn't equate to Nutrisystem food. So it was comfort food—albeit in small amounts—for two days.

FINALLY, on Wednesday, I hopped back on the healthy bandwagon. No exercising though... I'm still waiting to regain my lung capacity and a clear path through my nasal passages (yuck, I know).

Even with ALL of that, this morning's weigh in wasn't too scary. My scale—a cruel, but consistent, old-fashioned model—announced I have now lost eight pounds, officially, since January 1. That takes me to 40 percent of the way to my goal of 20 pounds! I'll take it.

Plus, I'm certain that the next seven days, which I know will be healthy-bound and hopefully exercise-filled, will yield even better results for next week!

In a related matter... I also realize that my weekend binge left me squarely in contempt of Lent. This is not an unusual occurence, though. I do normally allow myself one cheat per year (usually so I can have a Shamrock shake from McDonald's). I always tell David after I indulge that I need to write my apology letter to Jesus. As Sunday rolled on, I kept saying how my letter was getting awfully long! Oops again.

No comments: