Why, do you ask, do I need Jenn Williams? Because years ago—about 5, maybe 6 (or gosh, was it 7 ?!)—she kicked my butt at least once a week, sometimes twice, as my aerobics instructor.
Kristen Porter Jarzecki and I would attend her classes at the Westerville Community Center—SWEAT (and we DID!) and something to do with Body Sculpting—and Jenn would make us WORK.
Here I am, many moons later, post-baby body in full effect, void of a regular workout schedule for the last 1.5 years. Those of you who are familiar with my blog may have seen one of my 2008 resolutions—lose my baby weight—so I am trying to do that. To that end, I've worked out twice this week (two days in a row!), and I am PATHETIC, dying, gasping, sore and unmotivated to work any harder.
Where, I wonder, is that girl who used to do the hardest level in Jenn's classes? "What, I can use weights AND add a power-up jump?...Count me in! Go an extra 20 seconds?...sure! Jog or walk?...I say jog, or heck, let's run!"
Now I am that person in the back row (if that's possible in my living room or office), barely managing the low impact versions of workouts. My 8- & 10-pound dumbbells have a thick coating of dust on them, and my 5's are jealous that they hardly get any action.
One would think that the frightening sight of my bare body in a mirror would be enough motivation to get me moving (or at least moving faster), but I am tired, tired, tired. The sensible voice in my head tells me that to get more energy, I have to expend more energy, aka EXERCISE. So why do I just want to lay on the couch?
I long for that magic pill that would make my bathroom scale more merciful, but I know that not only is a pill not the answer, it doesn't exist.
So, instead, I hope I find a new Jenn Williams (since she's moving to LA!)... just the right person to bark at me and encourage me to create my best physical self. After all, I turn 30 in just five months. I think I owe it to myself to welcome a new decade feeling GOOD about the way I look and feel. And I owe it to Noah and David to have more energy to play and run and get out in the world as a family.
Now if someone could just pull me off this couch, maybe I could get started.
Wednesday, January 30, 2008
Jenn Williams, I need you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
We all struggle with this Tif!! It is a sad story to think that cave women didn't HAVE to plan working out into their daily lives, their daily lives created activity enough! And now women have to work AND work out. Not fair.
Didn't know Jenn was taking off for LA. Do you know her blog address? I think she has one.
Don't worry, it will hit you one day and you will get up and go...just like little Noah!
Tif! I'm smiling so big inside right now - thank you so much for the kind words (I considering kicking butt to be a compliment).
More importantly, I am smiling because you are such a beautiful woman. You are no doubt being way too hard on yourself. Start with some managable goals - drink lots of water, get lots of sleep (so important to losing weight!), take the stairs, and surround yourself with supportive people.
Believe in yourself, Tif. I do and will be cheering you on from across the country!!
Post a Comment