Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Spooky stuff!

I know I'm not the only person who's experienced this...

Last night David and I were hanging out with Noah on the couch, getting ready to start his night-night routine. One of Noah's favorite things to do at the end of the night is to stand on the couch and look over the back, jumping up and down and launching himself back and forth between us.

Sometimes during this silly session, he'll spot the kitties walking around in the kitchen, which sends him into hysterics. (LOVE those giggles.)

But last night, the kitties weren't in his line of vision. All of the sudden he's looking up into/at nothing, and he starts saying in his adorable, soft voice, 'Hiiiii." So cute! But, because it wasn't directed to Daddy or to me, it was spooky. Who WAS he talking to? He would look at us, and then his head would zip back over toward nothing (as if someone called to him or caught his eye), he would smile big and say hi. Over and over.

I don't know exactly what I think about ghosts, but when babies (or even animals) do that, it makes me wonder if there was something or someone there that I couldn't see. Obviously, a friendly something, but still...

Just makes me wonder.

4 comments:

Emily said...

Not ghosts, angels.
I believe in angels and I believe that children can see them. I know I sound like a loonbag, but you should hear me at home with kids when they smile at the corner, when Bailey barks at nothing, I just go "Pops?" "Aunt Paula?"
I think that our dear ones that have passed away stop by and make sure we are happy and content and I think our little ones can see that.
Hannah out of NOWHERE the other day said "Hi Mamaw" which is Adam's grandmother, who passed away three months after our wedding. I figured she just stopped by for a minute to admire her great grandchildren. But that is how I think, I know, its weird but I really believe that.
I have to go now, some dudes in white coats with a strait jacket are knocking at the door, I have to go see what in the world they want!

Jen said...

Ooh look Tif! Now, I am even responding to your blog! Big morning for me! I agree about the angel comment. I remember all three boys doing that when they were babies. I was so soothed by the idea that Papa, Grandpa Titus, or Grandma DOucette were standing there. It always made me feel so great. It actually brings tears to my eyes as I think of it!

Tiffany McCallen said...

Holy cow, my sister is online AND she is blogging AND she is posting comments. I am so excited! You are the first person in the fam to read THIS blog, I think. And thanks for the comment... I think you and Em are right... angels are everywhere. :) I'm guessing it was Papa there the other day, making his silly faces at Noah that he used to make with me. Makes me teary too!

Shauna said...

My friend Andrea and I JUST had this conversation a few days ago. Her grandfather passed away last year and her youngest son is always saying that grandpa appeared in his dreams. One time he said, "Grandpa had a doggie with him named lucky." And Andrea inquired with Grandma - sure enough - Lucky was her grandpa's first puppy! How precious is that. I haven't had any of these experiences (seeing as how I don't have any kids!) but I've heard that it is possible! And what a wonderful thought to know that even though those we love have left us physically - they will always be in and around us.