Thursday, January 10, 2008

Day #1

I survived! Noah went to the babysitter today... and I went with him! :) Actually, that was the plan all along. I asked Heidi when I interviewed her if she minded if I spent at least half of Noah's first day with him, mostly so I could ease myself into this new world. She was enthusiastic about that thought, adding that it would be nice for her as well to get an idea about his routine (and watch the techniques/games I use) and to get to know me better as well.

I swear that when I arrived at her house at 7:45 this morning, my plan was to leave by 1:00. I figured Noah would go down for his second nap of the day then, and I could chat about instructions with Heidi and head out the door.

Since I officially took the whole day off, I had grand plans to head to Hoover Dam and read a book, or take a walk to clear (and calm!) my thoughts.

Noah, however, had other plans. He was so excited (as usual) about the environment and with Heidi's two daschounds that he slept a grand total of 40 minutes... while being rocked... over three nap attempts! Granted, I didn't do any "crying it out" stuff today, which probably would have helped. Honestly, I knew he was exhausted... he had two hours less sleep last night than usual, and his morning car nap was shortened by 20 minutes. I figured it would be a snap to get him to sleep.

HA!

My 7-month-old stayed awake (save 40 total minutes) from 7:45 AM to 7:45 PM. Holy cow. And this is Noah—champion sleeper—we're talking about. If I had to guess, I would say I'm in for a grump gus tomorrow.

At any rate, as I said my plan was to jet after nap time... but since he never went down, I just kept visiting with Heidi! I didn't end up leaving until 4:30. And then David arrived at 5:30 to pick up the big guy. Go figure.

So, as you can imagine, today was a breeze!

Honestly, I'm so glad I did things this way. I feel much better about the thought of leaving him with a sitter. I reconfirmed for myself that Heidi is a first-class citizen, person, mother-to-be. Noah obviously adores her (but he still loved all over me, which gave me tiny mommy happies), and he seems right at home in her beautiful house. I think I found a good match!

And next week, Heidi is scheduled to start watching a cute 2-month-old baby girl. Maybe there's love in the air!

For now, I'm so excited that I get to work from home tomorrow, and steal Noah's attention all for myself. Gosh I love that guy... :)

1 comment:

Gamma said...

I am glad everything went well and that you are at peace with his new caregiver. I had a very hard time leaving Brody with my aunt let alone someone with whom you have only spent hours with. I know that it will work out well, and there is nothing like when you come home from work and your boy smiles that big, bright, beautiful smile, which is only for you!