Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A letter to Noah on his second birthday

I worried this week that this would already be the year when I didn't get to rock my baby to bed. After all, Noah hasn't acted much like a baby since he was 10 months old. But after we finished our nightly routine—three books, three songs, day recap and prayers—my big kid indulged me in some cuddle time in our overstuffed rocking recliner. He was squirmy & wormy, but I drank in every moment that he let me love him and hold his little head to my chest. Precious guy...

--------------------------



Dear Noah,

For 730 days of your life, I have loved you. It's hard to believe that I've been blessed with that many "good mornings" and "good nights" whispered past your sleepy eyes and into your tiny, soft ears.

You are an overwhelming joy in my life. Your smile alone makes me want to be a better mom and a better person. I want to give you the world!

But you are too busy exploring the world to wait for me to hand it to you. Every day you stoop down on your chubby little legs to get a better look at a bug (a cricket, as you would say) crawling lazily by in our driveway. Or your ears might perk up at a bird or airplane swooping through the clouds high above us. A few months ago, you said excitedly to me: "Mama, I see an airplane up in the sky!" I was too busy beaming at your vocabulary at that moment to soak up your sheer delight—but it caught up with me later that night when we talked about it at bedtime.

Your zest for life, and the way you already live it to its fullest, is infectious. Everything is new and amazing to you—just like watching you is new and amazing to your parents. Even at our grumpiest, we will laugh at your laughter and grin at your antics.

Daddy is thrilled to see you grow so fast. I feel like I wasn't prepared for the amount of changes you underwent this year. Last year at this time you knew only a few dozen words. Now we have conversations. Your diet 12 months ago was largely dependent on "Puffs" and soft foods. This weekend you munched on cucumbers, hot dogs and macaroni salad.

You even started to drive this year. For Christmas Mommy & Daddy bought you a riding mower just your size. We were even able to test it out Christmas Day because the weather was so nice, and you zipped around like a pro! Now we barely have to watch you because you can whiz around the yard with ease. When I see you riding it, I sometimes flash forward 14 years to the sassy teenager I know you'll be behind the wheel of some giant (if I have my way) car. Whew! I'm always getting ahead of myself.

Despite the way you've grown, I love that you're still my baby for a few minutes each day. It's inevitable that you bump, bruise, cut or bonk something every day. And when you do, if you've really done a number on yourself, you want someone to reach out and scoop you up into the safety and comfort of strong arms. For now, Mommy's lap and my kisses are enough to make it all better... for both of us.

I love you, Noah. Happy second birthday, monkey.

Love,
Mommy

4 comments:

JWilson said...

So sweet Tif!

MissRebecca said...

Tiff that is so sweet... little misty over here:)

jeff said...

McCamey and I sit a little teary reading this. It is a fastforward of things to come for me. Oh boy!

Jen said...

So sweet. Got a little teary. Just watch how fast the next few go. Pretty soon you'll be posting first day of school pictures!