The wants and wishes of a two-year-old don't dwell too deeply. Noah's pretty much an open book in that regard. Following what he must have considered a fan-flippin'-tastic 2nd birthday party, when he learned that Grandma and Papa Compan were coming to visit the next weekend he asked if we were having "anudder birfday party?"
I said, "Not really buddy. But Grandma told me she was going to bake mommy a birthday cake when she comes."
You could see the question on his scrunched-up face, "Huh?" What you mean mommy gets a cake?
Try explaining to a toddler that his mommy's birthday is a mere six days from his own celebrated day, and it just doesn't sit well with him.
But last Saturday morning, when Noah woke up and illegally opened the refrigerator—as he always does, despite mommy's protests—and he saw a tiny, frosting-covered cake, he said, "Dis is my cake for my party!"
Oh my, grandmas rule. They just think of everything!
It was a wonderful birthday visit for everyone. I cannot even describe how much I enjoy spending time with my family. I feel blessed that I love—and like—each and every person who makes up the extended Compan-Doucette—McCallen bunch. And since we do get along so well, it's like having my cup filled up each time I get to see them.
Mom & Dad arrived on Friday night, after they took in my nephews' baseball game. When they got to our house, Noah was already tucked in bed, and David and I were shooting pool in our partially-finished-still-in-progress basement rec room. A few hours later, Dad & David had easily racked 20 games of pool while Mom and I shared a beer or two and chatted on the couch.
The next day, the men left early for a game of golf, and mom, Noah and I had a lazy start to the day before running some errands (we had to get supplies for our strawberry jam, of course).
When we all reconnected at lunchtime for a BBQ feast, we let Noah blow out his "2" candle on another cake to his absolute delight. Can't say I blame him; cake rocks!
Then Daddy & Papa scooted off to the Memorial Tournament, and mom and I put Noah down for his nap. We made our jelly (been enjoying it every since!), we baked my Angel Food birthday cake, we sat by Noah's little froggy pool and dipped our feet inside, and we chatted aimlessly for a few hours. When Noah woke up, we really entered the splash zone. I'd call that a rather productive afternoon!
Grandma & Papa had to jet that night, so we made the best of the short visit. I say it over and over again, but I always wish we lived closer so that I could have more visits like last weekend.
Keep dreamin', right? And in the meantime, I'm so grateful that my folks came out for Noah's and my dual birthday celebration. It was the very best birthday gift a girl could ask for.
Saturday, June 13, 2009
Can we have anudder party?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Love the pool. Must be from a cool Aunt and Uncle!!! I know what you mean. We have a great family, that I get to enjoy a lot more frequently than you... nah nah na nah nah!!! Hope to see you soon
It sounds like a wonderful few days. that frog pool is very cute!
Post a Comment