Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Rest in peace, Bert & Ernie

It is a sad day in the McCallen household. We lost our two dear goldfishies, Bert & Ernie. They lived an incredible four months in our care.

It may or may not have been due to involuntary fishslaughter that they're now swimming around in the giant fishbowl in the sky. The adults of this house, mostly dutiful in cleaning their simple glass bowl, may have let the water go a bit too long before dumping & scrubbing the see-through enclosure (not so see-through in the days prior to their passing).

Bert went first on Monday; Ernie followed on Tuesday. David carried out the burial today—down the old "toilay" and out into the creek.

So far as I can tell, Noah has neither noticed the fish are gone nor is he dealing with any grief fallout. Whether we welcome new fish anytime soon is still up for discussion.

For now, we shall bid our watery friends a fond farewell. Rest in peace, fair fishies.


Bert & Ernie
2/09–6/09

2 comments:

Shauna said...

I know it's not funny, but that cracked me up. You're hilarious. I'm sorry for your loss, but the blog should bring a smile to many. :)

Lindsay said...

Poor Bert and Ernie......sorry for your loss! That was pretty entertaining though I have to admit. They are now swimming with the several fish we have managed to kill off over the last two years. :( We haven't lost any in a while so I think we are finally getting the hang of it! :)