Saturday, June 27, 2009

Another use for pool skimmers

Yesterday we finally got around to swimming in the 10-foot pop-up pool we filled earlier this week. The pool adds to the "charm" of our backyard's inflatable-meets-water-features look. (I will say it again: it's a good thing we live in the woods!)

Anyway, all three of us were in the pool splashing, bobbing along and rather enjoying ourselves in the steamy Ohio sunshine. It was Noah's first foray into a large body of water this season, so we were encouraging him to work on his swimming techniques.

I suppose it is our fault, then, that just a few minutes into our swim, instead of blowing OUT the bubbles, Noah took in a giant mouthful of water...and swallowed...and then began to cough...and then began to gag.

We knew what was coming, although I didn't quite process it fast enough to prevent what happened next: Noah puked all over—IN, that is—our miniature pool. And because his Grandma Frazier had treated him to a day at the zoo and a generous portion of Mickey D's fries and nuggets, there was quite the volume to this round of chunder.

No time to troubleshoot; Noah was still gagging and still puking. We did manage to get him to the side of the pool where he released the remaining contents of his belly, and then looked up at us with a smile.

Oh yuck. The floaters were everywhere! What else where we to do but pick up the pool skimmer and start swishing it through the water. I think it took a good 15 minutes to catch (most of) the mess. And I don't know if it makes us a little gross or a little laid back that we didn't let it rain on our swimming parade. We kept right on paddling.

It does make me think, however, that next week when we're at Maumee Bay, we should seriously consider bringing a bucket with us... just in case Noah accidentally swallows more water. I don't think our fellow swimmers there would be quite as "laid back" as we are. Can you see it now? Swim suit? Check. Sunscreen? Check. Towel? Check. Puke bucket? Check. Only our son...

3 comments:

JWilson said...

I so want pictures of the puke bucket! :)

You knwo when it's your own kid it's not quite as gross.

Shauna said...

Personally, I think the pool skimmer was PERFECT for that. I'm not grossed out all. :)

Jen said...

I have a real sympathy gag reflex. Glad I wasn't there to witness that. Yuck!