Friday, March 7, 2008

Dinner With 12 Cardinals

In my role as an Otterbein Alumni Council member, I am presented with several opportunities to mingle and network with current students. In January I took part in a communication/marketing/business networking event. It was fantastic! When I was a student, I would have loved the chance to show up at Roush Hall and walk through exercises designed to practice just talking with 20 or so professionals in my field. Talk about getting a leg up!

And last Saturday, I got to experience a similar evening in Otterbein's new project, "Dinner With 12 Cardinals" at my fellow Council Member's (Eric) house. The concept is this: six students and six alumni meet at the home of an alumnus for dinner and networking. Normally, all people involved are seeking or are in the same general field.

On Saturday there was an eclectic mix of shy and outgoing students, athletes, fashionable girls, studious girls, etc. I also thought it was interesting that not a single one of them was Greek. It made me wonder if today's students aren't as enamored with the Greek system as my classmates were.

What I also discovered is how well spoken, intuitive and goal-oriented these students are. I don't know if I could say the same about me at their age. These kids will clearly head to big, big places in their lives. It's exciting to think my alma mater is still churning out quality, productive members of society!

If any Otterbeinians reading this ever want to participate (or host!) an upcoming Dinner With 12 Cardinals, just let me know. I'd be glad to put you in touch with the powers that be.

Here are some pics from my first dinner (thankfully, I was the woman behind the camera, not in front of it!)...



No comments: