Monday, March 17, 2008

Deer and turkeys and bunnies, oh my!

What a busy weekend! We had our fill our animals on Saturday and Sunday...

Saturday, David, Noah, Clay M. and I went to the Deer & Turkey Expo at the State Fairgrounds. This is usually an annual event for us, so I knew what I was in for. If you haven't been there, just picture an explosion of camouflage, antlers, jerky everything and the incessant sounds of turkey calls (This is not a ear-pleasing sound if you're not familiar with it).

Noah was thrilled to be there—with so many new sights and sounds, I am sure it was hard for him to keep up! Speaking of up, mommy filled out another entry in the Non-Mother-of the-Year Contest by forgetting to bring the big guy's stroller. That meant David and I took turns carting around one very wiggly, 24-pound baby. Try that for a few hours and report back to me on whether or not your back is sore and whether your calm demeanor is shot. :)

Regardless, it was actually a fun afternoon. That's one of the few times a year I can actually get into the hunting/fishing scene in attempt to support my hubby's hobbies.

And then on Sunday we zoomed off to the Polaris Mall for some shopping and a visit to the Easter Bunny. I got Noah all gussied up in his new Easter shirt and khakis, and we dutifully stood in line waiting for the appearance of Mr. Cottontail himself. A half-hour later, there was still no fur to be seen. We took stock of the situation—a long line ahead, dinner plans nearing, a lovely display of Easter flowers—and we decided to 86 the bunny visit. The nice people in line ahead of us took our family picture instead.

I'm certain Noah will not suffer a moment for not having greeted Peter this year. For the record, David did offer to personally hunt down a bunny from our very own yard for a homemade Easter pic... but his intentions seemed a tad on the shady side, and I figured the flower pics would suffice.

After the bunny fiasco, we hopped on over to Red Robin to meet Kristen & Clay M. for dinner. This is the first time we've been able to hang out (all four of us, that is) since before the holidays! Kristen is looking adorable, sporting her maternity wear for the bambino she's busy making, due this fall. It was GREAT(!) to see them and just catch up.

A note about dinner... I scored a personal victory by going to Red Robin and NOT eating one of their delicious hamburgers OR their steak fries. In fact, I brought along a Nutrisystem bar and ordered a side salad and a cup of steamed veggies instead. You have no idea the size of miracle that occurred that night. Truly amazing!

Pictures to come...

2 comments:

Shauna said...

You are doing a great job with your diet, Tif. I am sooooo proud of you! And a little jealous, I might add. :) But great job!! Keep up the good work! I love you!

Gamma said...

Good job on the weight loss, I know how hard it is and you are doing awesome! I cannot wait to see the pics...and just think how much you lost carrying that sweet baby boy around at the expo...probably worked in your favor!