Thursday, May 21, 2009

They doth protest

It's been a while since they were put to good use. In fact, my muscles have been on extended leave for the last 18 months. Every few weeks I would require them to get out of bed and go to work, but they're used to the sweet life.

Yesterday, I hired my muscles again and showed them around their long-lost workplace: the GYM.

In a rare move for my new(ish) mom status, I did something yesterday just for me. I took some of the money I earned in a side job (the completion of our company's redesigned website, RNA.org), and I spent a fraction of it to renew my long-forgotten membership at the Westerville Community Center. I have to say, It felt a bit like coming home.

About 6–7 years ago, I frequented the Community Center almost daily, usually around 8 PM (!) so I could catch my favorite TV shows while I worked to sweat off the day's calories. And I didn't stop at the cardio equipment. I did weight training and I took a variety of aerobics classes to shake things up. My boss used to call my workout regimen "Sweat, Heat or Die." She wasn't too far off. I took a class called "Sweat," a class called "Heat," and one more called "Flex," but it doesn't have the same ring to it as "Die."

And I loved working out. I loved the competition of trying to outperform my neighbors (conspicuously, of course), and I loved the way the scale hovered at a respectable number (never skinny, but definitely respectable).

It's been a long time since I had a regular routine. I fell into the comfortable habits of new boyfriend—engagement—marriage—new house (with new hour-long commute each way—pregnancy—baby—and then a slew of excuses for not getting back into the swing of things.

A few weeks ago, I decided I was ready to focus—just a bit—on me. And so I took the plunge. And I loved it! My muscles did not. They are sore and grumpy this morning from my 30-minute elliptical workout and my cool-down on the bike (my time was a bit limited yesterday since I had to go through the sign-up motions), but I feel rejuvenated. It was inspiring to rejoin my fellow Americans in the quest for physical fitness and to see some familiar faces at the gym (not friends, mind you, but those same faces I saw working out every day seven years ago!).

My commitment to myself is to go to the gym three days a week (the days I'm in Westerville basically) with a hope that I can dust off some exercise DVDs and equipment at home a day or two in between. If I get really crazy, I may even pick back up my running routine, which once upon a time led me to the best shape of my life.

But first, some baby steps. Gym membership, go regularly, pick up the weight training, jog and then we'll see. Welcome back, muscles.

5 comments:

JWilson said...

Welcome back muscles! :))

Sarah said...

Hey Tiffany!

If you would like to do some yoga at home, I love yogatoday.com. Streaming new class every day, and it's free!

your old show choir buddy,
Sarah

Jen said...

Yeah, baby! Too fun. Welcome back to the gym. It is invigorating, isn't it??

jeff said...

I am is the same boat. Need to het off my butt, before I can't do it anymore. Keep it up!

Lindsay said...

You go girl! I was doing really good there for a while and have totally slacked off. Today however is my new start. I'm back on the wagon for now!

It does makes you feel so good when you work out...I love it! Keep up the good work! :)