There is a magic about the circus that kids of all ages adore. There's a little something for everyone: exotic animals, raucous clowns, acrobats, trapeze artists, you name it. And if you don't like what you're watching, you can certainly find something yummy to snack on to pass the time.
I cannot tell you when was the last time I went to a circus. To the best of my recollection, I attended a circus at The Ohio State Fair. I believe they used to have a regular gig on the back side of the fairgrounds close to ODNR (which only matters to you if you're as familiar with the grounds as I am... a three-time fair junkie).
If I'm right, I think that circus occasion happened when I was in the All-Ohio State Fair Band in 1994. So, we're talking 15 years since I've witness the juggling clowns and high-wire walking. My memory was fuzzy at best.
A few weeks ago I saw an advertisement for Barnum & Bailey's "Greatest Show On Earth," and it was coming to Columbus! I couldn't resist. I asked David if he wanted to go, and I snapped up three discount tickets for great seats. Fabuloso!
We knew that Noah probably wouldn't remain focused for the entire circus, but we hoped we could get a full hour out of him. When we arrived, it was 11 a.m.—lunchtime! Knowing we were about to get taken, we purchased a few hot dogs, a pretzel and some cotton candy. The last time I bought cotton candy it cost $1. This time, we paid $12 for a bag of melt-in-your-mouth sugar, but we did get a fancy plastic ringmaster hat to make us feel nominally better.
As we took our seats and waited for the show to begin, it took some coaxing to convince Noah that he should try the cotton candy. It's a little unbelievable that he puts everything else he picks up right past his chompers, but show him some spun sugar and he's wary. Go figure. It didn't take long before he was in fully sticky glory from the fluffy goodness (me too!).
And then the lights went up—LOTS of lights! The circus is much brighter than I remember. There were flashing lights and spot lights and they even used a jumbo-tron-esque sign to add some graphics to the fun. Noah's eyes were wide just taking it all in. And then the ring began to flood with animals, performers, motorcycles, and plain madness. The opening number was BIG!
And the show just took off from there: dog tricks, (big tiger) cat tricks, motorcycle tricks, clown tricks; porcupine bits, elephant sits, gymnast dips, and aerialist flips; man on stilts, men in pelts (penguin, that is); ponies running, bubbles blowing; laughter, popcorn, lemonade, FUN.
We made it through intermission and most of the second half, and then we bowed out in the last number to hit the road.
Noah's favorite part? The clowns dressed up as penguins. He just watched some of "Happy Feet," and I think it stuck with him.
David's favorite? No clue. Probably watching Noah laugh.
Mine? The elephants. Seriously, they're so gigantic yet cuddly. And the way they hold each other's tails in a row—it just gets me every time.
I loved the circus. And I bet kids age 4–10 would think it was downright spectacular. This nearly 31-year-old kid would go see it again, anytime!
Sunday, May 17, 2009
The Greatest Show on Earth!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
I agree! We went yesterday and had a great time....The circus has changed a lot but it's always entertaining. I too loved the elephants....they are so cute! Mason loved the motorcycles and Mady loved the dogs. haha! :)
Now don't die but I have never been to the circus. It's never really been anything that interested me so I've never gone.
Post a Comment