Thursday, May 14, 2009

Mother's Day madness

There was no time for breakfast in bed or for a lazy brunch on my Mother's Day this year. Instead, I had to get up and get moving so that I could fully enjoy a day of baptisms, celebrating moms and enjoying my family.

Noah and I were on the road by 7:50 AM on Mother's Day, eating up highway on our way to my hometown church to witness the baptisms of my niece, McCamey, and her mom (my SIL), Emily. I thought it was so neat that they got baptized—together!—on Mother's Day. What a wonderful way to honor each other and a commitment to raise their family in a Christian-inspired way.

We made it to church just in time to catch the end of the opening song and to scoot in a pew with Jeff, Emily, McCamey and Em's mom & brother. Soon after, the minister segued into the long list of baptisms (six in all, I think). We Methodists do a rather simple baptism—a few phrases, a tiny sprinkle of water and a "you many now return to your seats." Regardless of its simplicity, both Emily and McCamey looked so darn cute in their Sunday dresses (Camers was angelic in a white baptismal frock), and I, of course, got teary-eyed during the short ceremony.

Beautiful McCamey

I didn't have too much time to dwell on it, though. Noah was all over the place seeing as how we'd just completed three hours in the car, and there I was asking him to sit still just one more hour!

After church we gathered up the troops and posed for a family picture. If you can believe it, we're missing quite a few folks (like Jen's entire family since they live in Wisconsin and couldn't be there) and David, who was a busy bee at home working on our basement:

Thanks, Jeff, for the use of your pictures... the ones I stole off your blog, that is!

After church several of us headed over to my Mom's & Dad's house for lunch. My poor Mom cooked up a storm on her special day, but I hope that having so many of her kids home—for even a few hours—helped to make up for that. Plus, I know she was happy to celebrate the Compan girls' big day!

Noah and I were only able to stay and visit until 3 o 'clock. Then we had to hit the road to give Noah a chance to nap en route and to get me home in time to enjoy David's Mother's Day gestures. So we said our goodbyes, and I felt as I always do: that I wished I had more time to spend with my family who I love so darn much (and hardly ever get to see).

When we got home, David met us in the garage with one of my favorites: Papa John's Pizza. For dessert he spoiled me with gooey and delicious chocolate chip cookies, which I have been craving for months. It was just what the Dr. ordered.

He didn't skimp on Mother's Day gifts either. A beautiful bouquet of flowers waited for me when I walked in, looking splendid and smelling divine in one of our vases. And in the living room, he'd set up a new Wii system (a Mother's Day/birthday gift combo)! I've been talking for a while now about how one day I would like to have that particular gaming system—we already own a PS3—because it's so family-friendly and it has exercise components. I thought of all the gaming systems out there, at least this one we could play together as a family and it would encourage us to get up off our arses.

So we enjoyed a living-room dinner of pizza & cookies (hence Noah's bedtime prayer thanking God for cookies), and we watched a girly movie until it was time for Noah to hit the sack. Once he was tucked in bed, David and I played the Wii, making fools out of ourselves and confirming—for me—that I seriously lack hand-eye coordination. More on that later...

It was a busy day, a meaningful day, and a fulfilling one. I like that combo, although next year I think I'll take the "quiet day reading a book" variety. Happy Mother's Day to all you moms out there!

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Even though it was a busy one it sounds like it was wonderful! I got pizza for Mother's Day too, that must be the trend this year. :)

Happy Mother's Day!

JWilson said...

You will get the hand of the Wii very quickly! :) I lvoe ours now and play it more than i should. :)

Jen said...

I know your day was crazy, but I know that they all appreciated your being at home, too!!! Glad you had a good day.