Wednesday, November 26, 2008

An unexpected act of kindness

In a week marked by sadness, a bright light came over my house in the form of an unexpected act of kindness. And all I did was open the mail...

On Monday, I received a card from my step-grandma, Rosalind. I smiled when I opened it, thinking it was her annual Thanksgiving card. No one I know is more timely or more generous in sending cards through the USPS. But this card had something else. It had a note:

Happy Thanksgiving As the Holiday Season approaches, I was thinking this would be a good time to give thanks for family. Due to the fact that we seem to be living in a very unsettled time, I felt that perhaps each of you could use a little surprise to be something special for you. Consequently, I am sending you this gift as my way of saying how much I enjoy being a part of your family. I appreciate each and every one of you. Family is so very important and the Titus family is one of those special and caring families. Your Father/Grandfather was very special to me and I have many great memories of our life together. Again, Thanksgiving is a good time to give thanks for many blessings and the family is one of my special blessings. Love and God Bless You, Rosalind

Tucked inside the note was a check. I looked at David with delight and surprise. Someone gave us money—for no reason at all except to be kind—and we could certainly use it. How terribly nice of Rosalind!

I was so touched by this gesture, I wasn't even sure what to say when I saw her at my grandmother's funeral on Tuesday. So I said the only thing that came to mind, "Thank you so much for the card and the check. That is probably one of the nicest things to ever happen to me."

And I mean that. Though the years, I've been blessed with many acts of kindness, but this one is extraordinary.

Now I plan to gleefully apply Rosalind's gift toward our upcoming fuel oil purchase (despite the sinking gas prices, it's still outrageous to heat our house). And then, I hope to pay her generosity forward. I'm not sure how yet—I don't have the bank power to send out lots of checks—but I'll figure out something. When I do, I'll be sure to share it with Rosalind to let her know that her one unexpected act of kindness will hopefully keep on giving.

To Rosalind: thanks a million!

Rosalind

3 comments:

JWilson said...

Wow, that is great Tif!

Emily said...

Such kind things, they just touch your heart. She sound like a beautitful woman and you are a very deserving AND ALSO giving person!
Happy Tday!

Lindsay said...

That is very sweet, How generous of her to do that for you guys. I'm sure to her it was just a small gift but to you it means the world. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!