Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Saying goodbye

Calling hours and funerals—they are strange, sad and sometimes even joyous places. My grandmother's calling hours, though subdued, were also filled with joy. I know that among my immediate family, we were all happy to be together again (sans David, who had to work). We haven't all been in the same room since July. I could see other family groups felt the same way.

My nephews were beside themselves to hang out with one another, trade baseball cards and play tackle with Noah. I should note that they were in another room of the funeral home, and no worries about Noah; He can hold his own, even among 7-8- & 9-year olds!

Also helping to brighten the mood was a looping video of photographs of my grandma and grandpa and their huge extended family. We laughed out loud at some of the shots. There was a goofiness to gram and grandpa that exuded from them. They just had a flare for making their own fun and for loving one another. It was a treat to walk down that memory lane. My sister-in-law Anita made me chuckle when she remarked to my brother Tim that they didn't have any great photographs like that... at least not without beer bottles in them. I like their honesty, especially since I know I'm probably in the same boat!

During the funeral yesterday, several thoughts raced through my mind... 1) I had only ever been in my grandparent's traditional Lutheran church one other time aside from Christmas (that I can recall)—for my grandfather's funeral. It was odd to be in that church without the enormous Christmas tree and white banners hanging from the walls. And there was such a different feeling, a pall that stuck with you long after you left its walls. 2) I wondered what my dad was thinking. I wondered how I would feel if I were in his shoes. To miss his mother and his father... but to know they were together again. What a difficult conflicting round of emotions to stomach. 3) I was sad. I thought of all the years of staying at my grandma's house and the adventures my siblings and I got into there, and I grieved then for my grandma and the life she lived.

As usual, my most difficult moments came in the graveside ceremony. I struggle when it comes time to leave a person behind. It's silly, really, because their souls have gone on to better places long before. But I know that that moment marks the reality that a person will not come home ever again.

So I let the tears flow inside the cold, green tent provided for the brief internment service in the cemetery, and I leaned on my husband's shoulder while the minister sang "Abide With Me"...and then it was over. I said a silent goodbye to my grandmother, and I walked back to my car in the snow and ice. I took a deep breath and watched others file back to their cars. And then I felt peace. Just peace.

4 comments:

JWilson said...

I have the same problem leaving the cemetary. I am truly sorry for your loss but I am very glad youa re at peace!

Emily said...

With Jess, I am so glad you felt peace.

Jen said...

I just blogged about the same thing. However, I don't get that peace from those moments that you do.

Nice post.

Sasha said...

Continuing to think of you and your family during this time. I'm very glad you felt at peace. Take care.