Inspiration struck my husband last weekend, and he announced to me that we were going to have a bonfire the following Saturday. Alrighty, then.
In all actuality I've been itching to have a real bonfire at our house since we moved in. We've burned plenty of logs and branches in our fire pit (that I built, hooray for me!), but we had yet to pull up chairs around our outdoor hearth and just be one with nature. Well, we fixed that last night!
At one point I felt very much like I was 17 or so again, camped out at somebody's house in the woods with a few cases of Milwaukee's Beast. This time we were definitely in the woods, but there wasn't any Beast; we upgraded to Bud Select. I know what you're thinking... that's an upgrade? And the answer is yes!
Our campers were few but lively. David invited his new colleague, Chris, over (for this third date with his new friend in three days!), and I invited up our friends Dave & Jess and their kids Emma & Ian. We of course, added ourselves and Noah to the mix.
Here's Emma, staying warm and cozy in front of the fire:
In one of my least respective but very effective parenting techniques, I drove the mower over to the bonfire area to give Noah and Ian some instant entertainment. That saved me at least 20 trips of running after Noah in the dark on his way to the garage or the driveway or wherever else he wanted to go.
And yes, I force all my guests to pose for the camera. I don't know why, but I feel I must capture everyone for posterity's sake... including Mr. & Mrs. Wilson:
And Chris (who's flashing me the rocker fingers, but I couldn't aim all that well in the dark to get them in the frame):
Picture-taking is not complete unless someone gets one of me too! (and David, of course):
Now, a long time ago, I promised that someday I would have a gathering at my house that did NOT involve guns. That promise was broken last night. David and Chris each shot their favorites when it was still light out, and then they broke out more as we sat 'round the fire later. The one Jess is holding here is one of the biggest pistols on the market...it's serious, scary business. David tells me he'll harvest his annual buck with it this year. Hooray.
A look down the line at our happy campers:
I should mention that one of the reasons Jess and I were such happy folks is that I made this warm cocktail that rocked. I found a recipe for caramel apple toddies online, and it was fabulous. Simple too: apple cider, bourbon, caramel sauce, cloves and cinnamon; heat & drink! We obviously found more than one way to keep warm around the fire.
Finally, I have to give it to the kids (both actual and adult). Everyone had such a good time, and generally speaking, we all well behaved (minus the broken golf club). Now if I can just find the bonfire fairy to come and clean up the aftermath of our fun... no deal.
Sunday, November 2, 2008
Let there be fire!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Thanks so much for invting us up, we all had such a good time. The kids are still talking about it!
Oh and I need that Apple Cider recipe because it was AWESOME!!!! So was the rest of your food. :))
Ok now I am off to share some of my pics from the evening.
I am so sorry we didnt come, we didnt even leave the house yesterday, one of those days!
I love the pics!
Great pics, I really wish we could have been there. I'm sure you guys had much more fun than me! Maybe we could do it again before it gets too cold. :)
That looks like the perfect fall party! So sorry we could not come, Preston had ref stuff... YUCK.
I am so glad it was a success! If Kaiya had been there.... she would have to have been PRYED off the tractor... she freakin loves those things... we dont have many in the "city" - so we take her to Lowes so she can climb the riding landmowers :P
Oh yes, Guns, beers, and fire. What could be better?
Yes, it looked like a great evening. I am glad you can do that at your home. . . Too cool.
Post a Comment