Sunday, December 19, 2010

Decked the Halls

I have a love–hate relationship with our aging country home: hate when yet another appliance, roof or pipe goes on the fritz, and love at this particular time of the year— Christmas. I love the way our cozy living room turns into a warm, holiday wonderland each year, vibrant with reds and greens and pearly whites. 

I decorate for myself, and I happily turn on the multitude of lights each night when the sun goes down. 

This little tree, which sits in our bay window, is filled with White House ornaments my Grandma Dilley has given to me over the years. The glass "present" beside and the tree skirt under it were both gifts given to me by my talented Auntie Peg.

Look at those beautiful ornaments. Each year they dazzle more than the last.



A big window deserves a big garland...with bows.



Our tree looks crooked from this angle, but its branches are lovely!



 Our stockings are hung by the chimney with care.


And our whole mantle glows like the light of a fair!


Mr. Santa—whose beard and hat light up in the dark—was a gift from my mom, who buys all her "girls" a new holiday decoration every year.


Bring on Christmas Eve, we're ready for Santa in the McCallen house!

1 comment:

JWilson said...

The house and decorations all look lovely! Sometimes I wish I could leave mine up all year. There's just something inviting about a christmas decorated room.