Monday, October 5, 2009

Old Time Farming Festival

Who needs a fancy Ferris wheel when you can ride a pony and a makeshift tractor train? And why waste your time mastering square dancing on the ground when you can do it on a John Deere? In our neck of the woods, we call this event "The Old Time Farming Festival." I think it's the most charming, simple collection of family fun in Ohio (yes, even beating out my coveted Ohio State Fair).

David and I lured Noah there on the premise of rides and fair food, and we were a little alarmed at first when we realized that we remembered the attraction lineup a bit wrong. There were rides, but they didn't include metal horses or helicopters.

Our son didn't care. He got to ride a pony!





And then he rode Farmer Jim's version of a kiddie train. Looks to me like someone got very creative with some blue plastic barrels and an old farm tractor. You should have seen that man drive that train: he whipped the back of that pack around with no fears for the little people inside. Obviously it's a good thing I wasn't driving, because the kids were all about the daredevil maneuvers. Noah's the fourth kid from the front in the Buckeye jersey.



Sadly, we arrived just as the tractor square dancing ended, so I have no video to share of that magic. It's priceless, believe me!

2 comments:

JWilson said...

You know sometimes the old fashioned stuff is better than the hi-tech stuff! :)

I was trying to load some Emma's b-day pics to facebook last night but it wouldn't work. Once I get them up I will send you the one of Noah with the cake all over it's so cute!

Randy Ebert said...

Tractor square-dancing... that's almost as funny as donkey basketball. I need to see that some day, lol.